Thiessen, Jacob G. (1876–1967)
Jacob G. Thiessen fonds
Dates of Creation
1888–1967, predominantly 1912–1931
12 cm textual material
Jacob G. Thiessen was born on May 2, 1876, in the village of Muntau, Molotschna, South Russia. His father was Gerhard Thiessen. Jacob Thiessen received his teachers' training at Halbstadt, after which he taught for four years at Fuerstenwerder.
In 1897, Thiessen married Sara Goetz; the couple had twelve children. The Thiessens moved to Rueckenau, where Thiessen became active in the Mennonite Brethren Church. He was ordained to the ministry in 1898. His favorite themes were separation from the world and the second coming of Christ.
The Thiessen family moved to Canada in 1923, settling in Dalmeny, Saskatchewan for the first fifteen years. He was active in church and conference initiatives. In 1938, the family moved to Vancouver, where Thiessen served as church minister and chaplain at the Mädchenheim (Bethel Girls' Home), a house for Mennonite women who came to the city to work in domestic service.
After a brief illness, Thiessen died on February 25, 1967.
Scope and Content
The Jacob G. Thiessen fonds consists of published booklets written by Thiessen, photocopied sermons, and books written by others. His own books reflect his interest in end times.
- Volume 1058.
- Title based on contents of fonds.
- Bibliographic material (obituary). Mennonitische Rundschau 15 March 1967 and 19 April 1967. -- 1967.
- Photocopied sermons. -- Undated.
Booklets by Jacob G. Thiessen:
- “Die Gemeinde zur Apostelzeit.” -- Undated.
- “Das Himmelreich in Gelchichte und Weiszagung.” -- 1921.
- “Das Reich Gottes auf Erden.” Two copies. -- Undated.
Books not by Thiessen:
- Die Bibel: Gottes Wort by F. Bettex. -- 1912.
- Zum Tode verurteilt by E. Schreiner. -- 1921.
- Mit Gott im Krieg by E. Schreiner. -- 1921.
- Pachthof by Franz Hoffmann. -- Undated.
- Gestrauchelt doch nicht gefallen by Richard Roth. -- Undated.
- Ohne Kreuz keine Krone by Luise Graefin von Kanitz. -- 1888.
- Aza, der Peruaner by Friedrich Blaul. -- 1890.
- Ums Buergerrecht im Gottes-Reich by Rundle-Charles. -- 1925.
- Arbeitslos by Lisbeth Burger. -- 1931.
- Lobet den Herrn in seinen Taten! by J. Mgebroff. -- Undated.
- Die Geschichte des Christus by D.A. Schlatter. -- 1921.