Bender, Urie A. (1925–2018)
Urie A. Bender fonds
Dates of Creation
[197?], 1975, 1976, 1980
1 folder of textual records and 3 audio cassettes
Urie A. Bender was born in Baden, Ontario, where he lived and as a free-lance writer. He received his formal education at Eastern Mennonite College, Harrisonburg, Virginia; Waterloo College, Waterloo, Ontario; University of Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania; University of Western Ontario; and Mennonite Biblical Seminary. With is wife, Dorothy, they served under the Ontario Mennonite Mission Board for two years prior to his ordination as pastor of the Baden Mennonite Church. During his five years in this role, he was a member of the Ontario Mennonite Conference Executive committee and taught at Ontario Mennonite Institute under the principalship of Oscar Burkholder with J.B. Martin.
In addition to his years of service as an editor at Mennonite Publishing House, Scottdale, Pennsylvania, he has authored five books. He has also written five full-length historical pageants and plays, all of which have been produced. He is the author of To Walk in the Way (Herald Press, 1979), dramatic interpretations from the Gospel of Mark. In addition to play writing, Bender has served as producer of one of his scripts, directed another, and acted in several. He has also served on various campuses in brief teaching stints, as writer-in-residence, and conducted weekend creative writing workshops.
Urie and Dorothy are the parents of two married daughters and have four grandchildren. Dorothy is employed in the library of Wilfred Laurier University, Waterloo, Ontario.
Urie passed away on May 18, 2018.
The custodial history of this collection is not known.
Scope and Content
The material in this collection consists of plays, dramas, and presentations produced by Urie Bender.
- Volume 912.
- Described By Conrad Stoesz January 18, 2000.
- Accession nos.
- Location: Personal collections, small "AB”
- Audio Tape Collection NA-01–40, NA-04–22, NA-14–30.
- Related material: Photo collection NP26–32–7, NS01–11–26, NS01–12–26.
- A play written by Urie A. Bender, “House of the Lord.” – [197?].
- “Now is Always.” – November 12, 1976. – NA-01–40, side 2.
- “Body Language,” MBBC Chapel. – December 2, 1975. – NA-04–22, side 1.
- “To Walk in the Way,” A drama written by Urie Bender, Manitoba Mennonite Brethren Womens Conference, Elmwood MB Church, Winnipeg, MB. – April 19, 1980. – NA-14–30, side 2.