Zion Mennonite Brethren Church – Kitchener, ON
Zion Mennonite Brethren Church fonds
Dates of Creation
0.2 cm of textual records and 2 microfilm reels
Recent immigrants for South America preferred to worship in German. Therefore they decided to meet separately from the Kitchener MB Church. They organized as a congregation in 1961 with 35 charter members. However, by the late 1970s they had introduced bilingual services.
Membership peaked at 114 in 1973. Thereafter it declined. In 1980, the membership was 90. In 1983, the congregation dissolved and members joined other congregations in the Kitchener/Waterloo area.
The leaders of the congregation were Isaac Ewert (1961–1977), Johann Schulz (1977–1978), Rudy Janzen (1979–1983).
Scope and Content
This fonds consists of a congregational historical sketch ([197–?]), a brief congregational history (1980), a membership register (1978), congregational minutes (1961–1978).
Records were transferred to the Centre for MB Studies archives in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Some records were microfilmed in 1978 through the work of the Historical Commission of the Mennonite Brethren Conference.
- Volumes 552–553.
- Finding aid consists of a series description and a file list.
- Formerly classified under the Canadian Conference of MB Churches inventory BD-506.
- Finding aid for microfilm: R38, pp.1942–1957, R35, pp.1684–2157.
- Described by Bert Friesen 12 October 2001, microfilm file list adapted from a previous finding aid by Leslie Wiebe June 2003.
- No restrictions.
I. Zion Mennonite Brethren Church history.
0.2 cm of textual records.
- This series consists of a brief congregational history (1980) and a congregational historical sketch ([197–?]).
II. Zion Mennonite Brethren Church register.
16 pp.; microfilm.
- This series consists of a congregational membership register (1978).
III. Zion Mennonite Brethren Church minutes.
474 pp.; microfilm.
- This series consists of congregational meeting minutes (1961–1978) and church council meeting minutes (1961–1978).
- Zion Mennonite Brethren Church historical sketch. – [197–?].
- Zion Mennonite Brethren Church history. – 1980.
Microfilm file list
- Membership Register. – 1978. – pp. 1942–1957.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes. – Feb.26, 1961. – Jan.6, 1973. – pp. 1684–1884.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes. – Feb.10, 1973–July 8, 1978. – pp. 1885–1947.
- Church Council Meeting Minutes. – Feb.28, 1961–Feb.4, 1967. – pp. 1948–2040.
- Church Council Meeting Minutes. – Apr.1, 1967–June 18, 1978. – pp. 2041–2157.