Westview Community Church – Grassy Lake, AB
Westview Community Church fonds
Dates of Creation
0.4 cm of textual records and 1 microfilm reel
Mennonite families began moving into the Grassy Lake area in 1926. The congregation began with 7 charter members in 1927. During these early years the families met for worship in their homes. Then a few years later rented facilities were used. They received church leadership assistance from the Coaldale congregation. In the 1936, there were 19 members and they built their own meeting house, first the basement, and then in 1949 the upper sanctuary. In 1961, the membership stood at 46. In 1970, an educational wing was added. In 1982, with a membership of 33, they completed a new meeting house in the town site and they changed their name to the Westview Community Church. The membership in 2000 was 32.
The leaders of the congregation were: Peter Neufeld (1934–1938), David Penner (1939–1941, 1944–1951, 1954–1956), David Dyck (1942–1943, 1952–1953), Alex Neumann (1957–1959), Abe Konrad (1960–1962), Jake Thielmann (1963–1965), Roland Marsch (1965–1967), Allan Andres (1967–1971), Bert Affleck (1972), Edward Epp (1973–1977), Alex Campbell (1978–1985), Walter Enns (1986–1990), Corny Braun (1991–1994), Les Riediger (1995–1999), Kris Peters (2000–).
The language of worship is English.
Scope and Content
This fonds consists of historical sketches of the congregation ([196-?], 1978), a brief congregational history (1985), congregational bulletins (1991–1992), membership and family registers (1927–1977).
Records were transferred to the Centre for MB Studies archives in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Some records were microfilmed in 1978 through the work of the Historical Commission of the Mennonite Brethren Conference.
- Volume 333.
- Finding aid consists of a series description and a file list is available.
- Finding aid: The records are classified under the Canadian Conference of MB Churches inventory BA-507.
- Finding aid for microfilm: R49, pp.1279–1360.
- Described by Bert Friesen 25 September 2001, microfilm file list adapted from a previous finding aid by Leslie Wiebe June 2003.
I. Grassy Lake Mennonite Brethren Church history.
0.2 cm of textual records.
- This series consists of congregational historical sketches ([196-?], 1978), and a brief congregational history (1985), and a photo of the meeting house ([ca.1983]).
II. Grassy Lake Mennonite Brethren Church bulletins.
0.2 cm of textual records.
- This series consists of congregational bulletins (1991–1992).
III. Grassy Lake Mennonite Brethren Church registers.
82 pp.; microfilm.
- This series consists of congregational registers for membership and family which includes dates and places for birth, marriage, baptism, and death.
- Grassy Lake Mennonite Brethren Church history. – [196-?]-1985.
- Grassy Lake Mennonite Brethren Church bulletins. – 1991–1992.
Microfilm file list
- Membership and Family Register. – 1947. – p.1279–1328.
- Membership and Family Register, Book II. – p.1329–1360.