Valleyview Bible Church – Kamloops, BC
Valleyview Bible Church fonds
Dates of Creation
1 mm of textual records and 1 reel of microfilm
Valleyview Bible Church in Kamloops, British Columbia started in 1967 when three families from the South Abbotsford Mennonite Brethren Church moved into the Kamloops area for employment. They began weeknight Bible and prayer sessions and Sunday school classes were held in Marion Schilling School.
In 1969, morning worship services began in the library of the small school with Norman Fehr as preacher. The Board of Church Extension of B.C. heard of this group and decided to support the group.
In 1970 the church was formalized with the name Valleyview Bible Church and Jake and Esther Balzer were the first pastors. The church grew by drawing in people from the community. Much discussion went on during this time concerning the type of building the group would need. In 1974 they had the dedication service in their new multi-purpose church building. The church grew in number and diversity.
In 1978, the church welcomed John and Anita Klassen, who had been studying at the seminary in Fresno, as their second pastor couple. At this time, the church had 52 members and in 2000, 111 baptized adult members.
Leaders of the congregation include the following: Jake Balzer (1970–1976), John Klassen (1978–1981), Reuben Pauls (1982–1995), LaMont Schmidt (1995–2002), Dan Warkentin (2002– ).This fonds consists of a historical sketch, early beginnings (minutes and reports), their constitution, membership register, church building philosophy and use, financial reports, church council, church council (board) and congregational meeting minutes.
Scope and Content
This fonds consists of a historical sketch, early beginnings (minutes and reports), their constitution, membership register, church building philosophy and use, financial reports, church council, church council (board) and congregational meeting minutes.
The historical sketch came to the centre in ca. 1988 when a history of congregations was being done by the Conference. The microfilmed material came to the archives after a Conference wide microfilming program in ca. 1978 led by J.B. Toews.
- Location: Volume 369, microfilm 54.
- Description by Shauna Hudson, June 7, 2004; edited by Conrad Stoesz, February 1, 2007.
- Finding aid consists of a file list.
- No restrictions on access.
1. Historical Sketch. -- ca. 1988.
Microfilm file list
- Early Beginnings (Minutes and Reports). 1971–1973. pp 1747–1808.
- Constitution. 1977. pp 2002–2030.
- Membership Register. pp 2295–2319.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes. 1974–1978. pp 1809–1910.
- Church Council and Congregational Minutes (In Ledger). 1968–Feb 1975. pp 2108–2294.
- Church Council (Board) Meeting Minutes. 1974–1978. pp 1911–2000.
- Church Building (Philosophy and use). 1972–1973. pp 2093–2107.
- Financial Reports. 1971–1978. pp 2031–2092.