Tofield Gospel Church – Tofield, AB
Tofield Gospel Church fonds
Dates of Creation
0.2 cm of textual records and 1 microfilm reel
This congregation was begun in 1928 by Russian Mennonite immigrants arriving at Trent Ranch, northeast of Tofield. There were 14 charter members in 1928. They met in family homes and, because transportation was difficult, not very frequently.
In 1936, the Trent Ranch dissolved and many families moved to the Lindbrook area. In 1937–1938, many families from Crowfoot also moved the Lindbrook area. In 1939, they had outgrown family homes and so rented facilities were used for meeting places. In 1940, they decided to build their own meeting house between Tofield and Lindbrook, called the MB Church of Lindbrook. In 1963, a larger meeting house was completed south of Tofield called the MB Church of Tofield. In 1971, the congregation adopted the pastor system. In 1977, the congregation again changed its name to the Tofield Gospel Church. In 1982, the congregation again built a larger meeting house north to Tofield.
The leaders of the congregation were: Abram Froese (1928–1935), P. J. Warkentin (1936–1959), H. Huebert (1960–1961), J. J. Dueck (1962–1965), George Quiring (1966–1970), H. H. Epp (1971–1976), John M. Schmidt (1977–1980), P. H. Warkentin (1980–1981), Randy Benson (1981–1986), Calvin Buehler (1987–1993), Tom Peachey (1994–1997), Carl Ibbotson (1997), Wilfred Richert (1998 – ).
The language of worship is English and German.
Scope and Content
This fonds consists of a brief congregational history (1985), a congregational address list (1967), baptismal register (1978), marriage register (1978), membership and family register (1978), congregational meeting minutes (1928–1978), congregational church council meeting minutes (1975–1978).
Records were transferred to the Centre for MB Studies archives in Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1985. Some records were microfilmed in 1978 through the work of the Historical Commission of the Mennonite Brethren Conference. That microfilmed material includes church membership, family, baptismal, and marriage registers, minutes of congregational meetings and church council meetings.
- Volume 340.
- Finding aids consist of a series description and a file list is available.
- Finding aid: The records are classified under the Canadian Conference of MB Churches inventory BA-513.
- Finding aid for microfilm: R54, pp.1059–1745.
- Described by Bert Friesen 14 September 2001, microfilm file list adapted from a previous finding aid by Leslie Wiebe June 2003.
- No restrictions.
I. Tofield Mennonite Brethren Church history.
02. cm of textual records.
- This series consists of a brief congregational history (1985), and a congregational address list (1967).
II. Tofield Mennonite Brethren Church Records.
- This series consists of baptismal register (1978), marriage register (1978), membership and family register (1978), congregational meeting minutes (1928–1978), congregational church council meeting minutes (1975–1978).
- Tofield Mennonite Brethren Church history. – 1967, 1985.
- Tofield Church directories and loose bulletins. -- 1995, 1997, [199-].
Microfilm file list
- Register of Baptisms and Marriages. – 1928–[19--]. – p.1631–1634.
- Membership and Family Register. – 1928–[19--]. – p.1635–1745.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes. – Mar.1928–Jan.1951. – p.1059–1190.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes. – June 1951–Jan.1956. – p.1191–1226.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes. – Jan.1957–Sept.1963. – p.1227–1336.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes. – Nov.1963–Nov.1965. – p.1337–1378.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes. – Dec.1965–Oct.1966. – p.1379–1404.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes. – Dec.1966–June 1971. – p.1405–1476.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes. – Aug.1971–Dec.1974. – p.1477–1538.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes. – May 1975–Sept.1978. – p.1539–1589.
- Church Council (Board) Meeting Minutes. – Feb. 1975–June 1978. – p.1590–1630.