Swalwell Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Church – Linden, AB
Swalwell Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Church fonds
Dates of Creation
0.2 cm of textual records and 1 microfilm reel
Mennonite immigrants from Russia settled in the Sunnyslope area in 1926. These families met in 1927 for prayer meetings and Bible studies and then for worship the following years in rented facilities until 1933.
Then they purchased a building and moved it to a site near the Linden rail station in 1933, and organized a congregation and joined the Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Conference in 1934 and the name was changed to the Linden Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Church.
However, after the war, it became increasingly difficult to associate with the Evangelical Mennonite Brethren because of distance and since the Namaka group had joined the Mennonite Brethren conference. So the Swalwell group also joined the Mennonite Brethren conference in 1946/1947 and became the Linden Mennonite Brethren Church.
The leaders of the congregation were: Nick Rempel (1927–1944), S. Ratzlaff (1944–1948), A. Lutke (1946).
The language of worship was German.
Scope and Content
This fonds consists of congregational meeting minutes (1946) and a list of visitors to the congregation (1944–1945).
Records were transferred to the Centre for MB Studies archives in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- Volume 337.
- Finding aid consists of a series description and a file list is available.
- Finding aid: The records are classified under the Canadian Conference of MB Churches inventory BA-510.
- Finding aid for microfilm: R52, pp.1508–1669.
- Described by Bert Friesen 17 September 2001.
- No restrictions.
- Note: see record for Linden Mennonite Brethren Church: https://cmbs.mennonitebrethren.ca/inst_records/linden-mennonite-brethren-church-linden-alberta/
I. Linden Evangelical Mennonite Brethren history.
0.2 cm of textual records.
- This series consists of a congregational minute (1946) and a list of visitors to the congregation (1944–1945).
II. Linden Evangelical Mennonite Brethren minutes.
162 pp.; microfilm.
- This series consists of congregational meeting minutes of the Swalwell, Acme, Antler, and Linden congregations (1932–1948).
- Swalwell Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Church minute. -- 1944–1946.
Microfilm file list
- Congregational meeting minutes of the Swalwell, Acme, Antler, and Linden congregations (1932–1948). pp. 1508–1669.