Sunrise Community Church – Regina, SK
Sunrise Community Church fonds
Dates of Creation
7 cm of textual records
In 1988, Garry Sawatzky gave a presentation on church planting to the Parliament Community church in Regina, Saskatchewan. After more conversations the church asked Garry to lead a church plant in Regina. It was first known as “The Regina East Mennonite Brethren Project.” Three families from the Parliament church joined this new church plant.
Reporting to the “mother church,” Parliament Community Church, happened every 2–3 months. The Leadership was given to Garry Sawatzky and Maurice Vellacott. After the casting of lots, Vellacott was chosen as team leader. The church was financially supported by the Parliament Community Church and Saskatchewan’s Board of Church Extension (BOCE).
Sunrise Community Church began on Sunday September 10 with a send off from Parliament Community Church. The new church met in the W.F. Ready School, 2710 Helmsing Street and tried to model the worship style used at the Lakeview Free Methodist church (also known as the Willow Creek Model) in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. In 1990, Vellacott resigned.
In February 1992, the church was chartered with 12 charter members after working through a constitution and church covenant. By the end of 1994, there were 16 members with 50 people attending the worship service. The church closed in June 1995 due to large workloads and economic conditions.
Scope and Content
This fonds consists of documents outlining and reporting on the formation of the church, development of programs, and the challenges the church faced.
This material was created and collected by the members of the church. After the church closed the Saskatchewan Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches, Board of Management as Trustees assumed responsibility for the church as deposited the materials in 2004.
- Location: Volume 647.
- Described by Conrad Stoesz July 20, 2004; updated by Yvonne Snider-Nighswander February 5, 2013; updated by Kate Woltmann October, 2013.
- Accession numbers: 2004-014; 2013-22.
- Finding aid consists of a file list
- Formerly classified under the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches inventory BF549.
- Some restrictions apply.
- Beginnings of Sunrise Community Church, Regina. -- 1989.
- People at Sunrise Community Church. -- 1990.
- Bulletins. -- 1995.
- Reports from Sunrise Community church to the Parliament Community Church. -- 1990–1992. -- restricted.
- Chartering service material. -- 1992.
- Congregational meeting minutes and reports. -- 1991–1995.
- Steering committee minutes, reports and correspondence. -- 1991–1992.
- Church Council meeting minutes. -- 1992–1994.
- Evaluations. -- [1992?], 1996.
- Finances. -- 1994–1996.
- Christian Education and Worship reports and correspondence. -- 1991–1995.
- Correspondence and church statistics. -- 1994–1996.
- Church bulletins. -- 2005.
- Church bulletins. -- 2006.
- Booklet: "Welcome to: The Phone's for you!". -- .
- Correspondence, new church plant meeting minutes, budgets, closing documents. -- 1989-1995.