South Hill Church – Vancouver, BC
South Hill Church fonds
Dates of Creation
1 cm of textual records
In the spring and summer of 2007, Vancouver Mennonite Brethren Church began discussions with the English language congregation of Pacific Grace MB Church to talk about ways in which the two congregations could plant a new congregation. A joint task force was formed in July and a proposal to merge was presented to both congregations on 16 September 2007. Formal approval was given by the leadership of both congregations on 30 September, and a new name, South Hill, was selected on 5 November 2007.
Vancouver MB congregation began services about 1935, and formally organized on 25 April 1937 with a few dozen members. The congregation was the first Mennonite Brethren congregation in Vancouver. The first building was occupied in 1945; the group initially met in a rented hall. The church basement was built in 1941; the sanctuary was completed in 1944. John Peters is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through the urbanization of Mennonites from the Fraser Valley. David B. Wiens was pastor of the congregation from 1957 until 1968 when he became pastor of a daughter congregation, Culloden Mennonite Brethren Church. Roughly 75% of the the church's membership followed Wiens to the new daughter congregation. The years 1974/75 saw tremendous growth due to immigration from South America, but by 1980, many had moved to the Fraser Valley or back to Paraguay.
Over the years the church has been served by Mike Nishi (2007-present).
Scope and Content
This fonds consists of E-church bulletins, with links to other church programmes.
These E-bulletins came to the archives by e-mail and were printed.
- Location: Volume 1345.
- Finding aid consists of file list.
- Description by Yvonne Snider-Nighswander, November 12, 2011. Updated by Kate Woltmann July 18, 2013.
- No restrictions on access.
1. Bulletins. -- 2010.
2. Bulletins. -- 2012.