Ross Road Community Church – Abbotsford, BC
Ross Road Community Church fonds
Dates of Creation
4 cm of textual records and 1 microfilm
The Ross Road Community Church in Abbotsford, British Columbia, was originally known as the East Aldergrove Mennonite Brethren Church. The North Abbotsford (later known as the Clearbrook MB Church) was full. So, on January 2, 1947, thirty members met at the Hermann Klassen residence on Ross Road to discuss the establishment of a new fellowship in the Aldergrove area.
In February, the group decided to purchase 5 acres of land for a church on the corner of Ross Road and McClure Road. Here a basement was built with donated money and time from the charter members – many of whom were farmers in the area. The first worship service was held here on June 13, 1947, and led by Rev. J.F. Redekop. The rest of the building was completed on April 24, 1949.
Reverend Gerhard Warkentin was elected as the first leader in 1949, and, by 1950, the membership stood at 179. Warkentin felt the church needed someone who could speak more fluently in English and as a result Reverend Herman Voth accepted a position as pastor in 1956.
In 1962, the church had a face-life, including painting and plumbing. In the spring of 1964, there was a fire in the church. Thankfully, the church was saved from total disaster.
In 1969, it was decided to build an educational wing adjacent to the Church, which was dedicated on February 1, 1970. In 1977, a multi-purpose building with classrooms and gym, as well as a new sanctuary for the future was added. In 1981, the old sanctuary was demolished and a bigger one built in its place. By 1992, membership stood at 416 and by 2000 was 337. In 2000, the church changed its name from Aldergrove Mennonite Brethren Church to the Ross Road Community Church.
Leaders in the church included Gerhard Warkentin (1947–1956), Herman Voth (1956–1963), C.D. Toews (1964–1970), Rudie Willms (1970–1984), Wilf Richert (1984–1985), John Froese (1985–1986), Dan Warkentin (1987–1988), Jay Neufeld (1988–1993), John Nikkel (1993–2000), Herb Neufeld (2000–2003), Al Stobbe (Interim 2003–2004), James Penner (2004–2009), interim Robert Friesen (2010), Art Birch (2011–2019), Craig Thiessen (2018– ).
Scope and Content
These fonds consists of historical sketches, photo directories, 30th anniversary book, bulletins, membership and family register of baptisms and marriages, congregational meeting minutes and church council meeting minutes.
Some textual materials came to the archives in 1982 but it is unclear when other materials came to the archives. The microfilmed material came to the archives after a Conference wide microfilming program in ca. 1978 led by J.B. Toews.
- Location: Volume 354, microfilm 60.
- Description by Shauna Hudson, May 2004; edited by Conrad Stoesz, January 23, 2007.
- Finding aid consists of a file list.
- No restrictions on access.
- Accession No. 1982-14.
1. Historical sketches of the East Aldergrove Mennonite Brethren Church. -- 1947–1985, 2007.
2. 30th Anniversary Photo directory, address and history book. -- 1980, 1982, 1985.
3. Bulletins. -- 1968.
4. Bulletins. -- 1969.
5. Bulletins. -- 1970.
6. Bulletins. -- 1971.
7. Bulletins. -- 1998.
Microfilm file list
- 25th Anniversary History. pp 1525–1529.
- Membership and Family Register – Baptisms and Marriages. Book I. 1947–1957. pp 1193–1293.
- Membership and Family Register – Baptisms and Marriages. Book II. 1957–1975. pp 1294–1381.
- Membership and Family Register. (Card System). 1975–1978. pp 1382–1524.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes. Jan 1947–Feb 1951. pp 1–196.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes. Mar 1951–Mar 1957. pp 197–441.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes. Apr 1957–Dec 1962. pp 442–639.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes. Dec 1962–Dec 1971. pp 640–832.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes. Dec 1971–Nov 1975. pp 833–878.
- Church Council Meeting Minutes. Dec 1956–Mar 1965. pp 879–1071.
- Church Council Meeting Minutes. Apr 1965–Nov 1975. -- 1972–1192.
- Bulletins. -- 1968, 1970–1971.