Reinfeld Mennonite Brethren Church – McMahon, SK
Reinfeld Mennonite Brethren Church fonds
Dates of Creation
13 cm of textual records and microfilm
The Reinfeld Mennonite Brethren Church was located south-east of Swift Current. It was founded on 1 July 1927. The sixteen charter members added 11 people to their congregation in a 17 June 1928 baptism. The church met in a connected house and barn built by Isaac Friesen in 1916. In 1927 the building was moved 400' east of its original location. During these renovations they met in Iris School.
In 1956 the congregation, under Rev. H.F. Klassen, decided to move the church building south from Reinfeld to McMahon. This was because of poor road conditions in and around Reinfeld and to attract McMahon residents (McMahon was on the Canadian Pacific Railway line).
C.C. Penner was the first leader of the Reinfeld Church. The last service of the Reinfeld MB Church in McMahon was in 1967. At that time the last of the members left for congregations in Swift Current. Other churches receiving members included the Mennonite Brethren church at Herbert. Corny Brown bought the church building. He moved it to his farm five kilometers east of McMahon.
Scope and Content
This fonds consists of the following series: Minutes, financial records, and membership records.
These records were acquired as part of Accession #1999-057. The microfilming was presumably done in 1978 by the Historical Commission of the Mennonite Brethren Conference.
- Volume 642.
- Finding aid: The records are classified under the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches inventory BF540.
- Finding aid for microfilm: R47.
- Microfilm file list adapted from a previous finding aid by Leslie Wiebe June 2003.
I. Reinfeld Mennonite Brethren Church minutes.
2 cm of textual records and 58 pp.; microfilm.
- This series consists of Jugendverein meeting minutes and congregational meeting minutes. File 2 is also available on microfilm.
- Finding aid for microfilm: Reinfeld MB Church R47, pp. 669–727.
- Finding aid: Reinfeld Mennonite Brethren Church fonds file list no. 1–3.
II. Reinfeld Mennonite Brethren Church financial records.
5 cm of textual records.
- This series consists of two account books containing financial records.
- Finding aid: Reinfeld Mennonite Brethren Church fonds file list no. 4–5.
III. Reinfeld Mennonite Brethren Church membership records.
6 cm of textual records and 118 pp. microfilm.
- This series consists of two membership and family register books (files 6 and 7) which are also available on microfilm. File 8 consists of membership transfer letters and membership certificates. These are sorted alphabetically.
- Finding aid for microfilm: Reinfeld Mennonite Brethren Church R47, pp. 728–846.
- Finding aid: Reinfeld Mennonite Brethren Church fonds file list no. 6–8.
Series I: Minutes
1. Protokolbuch des Jugendverein (Minutes). – 1927–1937.
2. Congregational and Church Council Minutes. – 1931, 1936–1943.
3. Christlichen Jugendverein (Christian Endeavor) Minutes. – 1951–1954.
Series II: Financial records
4. Account Book. – 1927–1948.
5. Account Book. – 1927–1949.
Series III: Membership records
6. Membership and Family Register. – 1927–1935.
7. Membership and Family Register. – 1936–1967.
8. Membership certificates and letters of transfer. – 1927–1967.
Microfilm file list
- Membership and Family Register (Book I). – [192-]–[194-]. – p.728–791.
- Membership and Family Register (Book II). – ca.1927–1967. – p.792–846 (+42). – Note: It is unclear what this number represents, but is included because it was in a previous finding aid.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes. – 1931 and 1936–1943. – p.669–727.