Philadelphia Mennonite Brethren Church – Watrous, SK
Philadelphia Mennonite Brethren Church fonds
Dates of Creation
8 cm of textual records and microfilm reel
The Philadelphia Mennonite Brethren Church, located at Watrous, Saskatchewan, is a member of the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches. Services were held in an old school building beginning in 1927. In 1929, twenty-one charter members formed the nucleus of the church.
The church was received into the Canadian MB Conference in 1936 under the leadership of Peter Janzen. In 1937, the church had a membership of 135. A church building was completed in 1949, and in 1975 a new church was built.
Church membership in 2000 was 101, and 54 in 2010.
Leaders have included Peter Janzen (1937–1942, 1954), Franz Wiens (1943), Jacob D. Dick (1944–1950, 1952–1953), Paul Rogalsky (1951), J.J. Wiens (1955–1956), Dan Klassen (1957), H.H. Thiessen (1959–1963), A.H. Dueck (1964–1967), H.M. Toews (1975), Victor Nickel (1969– ), Henry Warkentin (1976–1981, 1985–1989), Dick Hill (1981–1982), P.R. Toews (1983–1984), Peter Laurie (1990–1993), Ernie Bergen (1995–2000), Darren Holland (1999– ).
Scope and Content
This fonds consists of the following series: Membership records, minutes of congregational meetings, financial records and textual records.
Many of the records were microfilmed in 1978 through the work of the Historical Commission of the Mennonite Brethren Conference.
- Volume 636.
- Finding aid: The records are classified under the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches inventory BF531.
- Finding aid for microfilm: R6, pp. 323–564; R7, pp. 465–670.
- No restrictions.
- Microfilm file list adapted from a previous finding aid by Leslie Wiebe June 2003.
I. Philadelphia Mennonite Brethren Church membership records.
193 pp.; microfilm.
- Two books of membership records, available on microfilm only.
- Finding aid: Philadelphia Mennonite Brethren Church R7, pp. 477–670.
II. Philadelphia Mennonite Brethren Church minutes of congregational meetings.
241 pp.; microfilm.
- Minutes of the congregation from 1943 to 1978, available on microfilm only.
- Finding aid: Philadelphia Mennonite Brethren Church R6, pp. 323–564.
III. Philadelphia Mennonite Brethren Church financial records.
131 pp.; microfilm.
- Financial records of local church operations from 1931 to 1972, available on microfilm only.
- Finding aid: Philadelphia Mennonite Brethren Church R7, pp. 366–476 and R6 pp. 565–633.
IV. Philadelphia Mennonite Brethren Church weekly bulletins and a historical sketch.
8 cm of textual records.
- This series consists of historical notes and church bulletins. File 1 came to Centre for Mennonite Brethren Studies from Bethany Bible School in 1996.
- Also included in this series is the the church's 65th anniversary book called Under His Wings (published in 1992); see file 13.
- Historical notes/minutes. -- 1976?
- Historical sketch. -- 1980?
- Church bulletins. -- 1978.
- Church bulletins. -- 1979.
- Church bulletins. -- 1980.
- Church bulletins. -- 1981.
- Church bulletins. -- 1982
- Church directory. -- 1991.
- Church board reports and minutes. -- 1989–1994.
- Congregational constitution. -- 1993.
- Various documents. -- 1989–1993.
- Financial report. -- 1995.
- Under His Wings. Philadelphia MB Church's 65th anniversary book. -- 1992.
Microfilm file list
- Congregational Meeting Minutes (Book I). – Nov.1943–Jun.1953. – p.323–371.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes (Book II). – Aug.1953–July 1963. – p.372–442.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes (Book III). – Nov.1963–Apr.1969. – p.443–493.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes (Book IV). – Aug.1969–Mar.1978. – p.494–564.
- Local Church operations/Financial Records (Book V). – 1949–1972. – p.565–633.
- Church and Family Register (Book VII). – [194-]–. – p.477–593.
- Church and Family Register (Book VIII). – [194-]–1977. – p.594–670.
- Local Church Operations (Book VI a). – 1931–1954. – p.366–444.
- Local Church Operations (Book VI b). – 1964–1969. – p.445–464.
- Local Church Operations (Book VI c). – 1969–1972. – p.465–476.