Northwest Community Church – Meadow Lake, SK
Northwest Community Church fonds
Dates of Creation
0.5 cm of textual records
The Meadow Lake Mennonite Brethren Church was first organized as the Compass Mennonite Brethren Church in the 1930s with Frank Janzen as the first pastor of a congregation of 50 people. In 1957, the church moved to Rapid View. At the same time, the Baptist church moved to Loon Lake, so some of the local Baptist members joined the Mennonite Brethren church. In 1961, members purchased a small Lutheran church in Meadow Lake and held their services in town. In 1965 and in 1978, they erected a larger building.
Pastors have been Frank Janzen (193?–1952), Dave Nickel (1952–1957), Arno Fast (1957–1960), Alfred Quiring (1960), Archie Jantzen (1960–1961), Bill Buller (1962–1972), Rueben Andres, Ben Klassen (1977), Gilbert Berg (1978–1987), Victor Nickel (1988–1990), Bob Cappelle (1991–2002), Daniel Stobbe (2004–2015 ), Alan Harstone (2016– ).
Since 1994, the church is known as the Northwest Community Church.
In 2010, membership was 46.
The language of worship is English.
Scope and Content
This fonds consists of historical notes about the church, as well as a list of adherents (1987).
Folder 1 was at CMBS before 1996 while folder 2 came from the Bethany Bible school archives. The remaining files have come in at various times.
- Volume 618.
- Formerly classified under the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches inventory BF521.
- Updated by Kate Woltmann, July 2014; Jon Isaak April 2015.
- Finding aid consists of a file list.
- No restrictions to access.
- (BF521) “Meadow Lake Mennonite Brethren Church,” by Margery Cross. -- 1985.
- History of Compass, Rapid View, and Meadow Lake. -- 1968, 2015.
- Financial report. -- 1995.
- Church Membership records. -- 1973–1980.
- Member and Adherent Directory. -- 1987.
- Pictorial membership directory. -- 2013?