Northview Community Church – Abbotsford, BC
Northview Community Church fonds
Dates of Creation
0.5 cm of textual records
In early 1980, several pastors met with the Mennonite Brethren Conference of British Columbia’s Board of Church Extension and requested a new church in the Abbotsford/Clearbrook area of BC be established. Receiving approval, a meeting of all interested people was called for March 27, 1980, in the Columbia Bible Institute school chapel in Clearbrook, BC. The purpose and function of the new church was outlined at this meeting. A steering committee of 6 men was organized and each was given a particular area of responsibility and met once a week to plan for the worship services.
The congregation held its first service in September of 1980 in the Mennonite Educational Institute chapel. On November 23, 1980, they held their Charter Service, with 58 charter members joining the church at that time. The search for a pastor also began at this time and hired Merv and Carol Boschman, of Fresno, California, in March of 1981. On February 7, 1982, the congregation decided to look for property on which to build a permanent facility and purchased 10 acres of land.
Membership in 1985 stood at 171 with a Sunday morning attendance of over 300. Because the church was growing so rapidly, church council felt it advisable to recommend to the congregation that it was time for an associate pastor to help with the needs of the congregation, and to open an office with a secretary. The congregation voted in agreement with this in March 1985. At this time the congregation was looking forward to having enough funds to build their facility.
In 2015, Northview absorbed as a satellite campus the church Northside Community Church in Mission, BC.
In 2001, membership was 1,791; in 2010, it was 1,100.
Leaders of the congregation include the following: Merv Boschman (1981–1987), Vern Heidebrecht (1988–2003), interim Justyn Rees (2003–2005 ), Jeff Bucknam (2008–2021), March Burch (2021– ).
Scope and Content
This fonds consists of a brief history, bulletins, and Northview all-star playing cards.
It is unclear when these records came to the archives.
- Location: Volume 392.
- Accession: 2005-005.
- Description by Shauna Hudson, June 24, 2004.
- No restrictions on access.
- Finding aid consists of a file list.
1. Northview MB church: bulletins (Feb.-Mar. 1991 series; Fall 1992 series). -- 1991–1992.
2. Northview MB church: allstars trading card set – valuable prayer reminders. -- 1992.
3. Northview MB church: "Connections" newsletter. -- Sept. 17-18, 2005.
4. Northview MB church: historical review. -- 1985.
5. Northview MB church: pastoral evaluation form. -- 1997.
6. Northview MB church: directories. -- 1991.
7. Northside Community Church new members. -- 2013