← Back to Institutional Records

Niagara Christian Fellowship Chapel – Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON

Proper Title

Niagara Christian Fellowship Chapel fonds

Dates of Creation

1955–1985

Physical Description

8 cm of textual records and 1 microfilm reel

Administrative History

The Virgil Mennonite Brethren Church began a Sunday School work in Niagara-on-the-Lake in 1951 in rented facilities. A permanent building was constructed from a building that was dismantled and rebuilt on a site foundation near Niagara-on-the-Lake in 1954. In 1957, a congregation, called Niagara Mennonite Brethren Church, was organized with 57 charter members. In 1964, the name was changed to Niagara Christian Fellowship Chapel. The membership was 101 in 1973. From that point, the membership declined to 94 in 1980 and 79 in 1990 and 61 in 1993, when the congregation dissolved. Sunday School outreach was an important component of the congregation’s activities as was Vacation Bible School and teaching religion in the public school system locally.

The leaders of the congregation were: C. M. Penner (1951–1956), Jacob Pankratz (1957–1960, 1963–1964), Ed Bauman (1960–1963), Jacob Neufeld (1964–1967), Rudy Bartel (1968–1973), Peter Loewen (1974–1976), Peter Fast (1977), Gustav Quadrizius (1978–1993).

Scope and Content

This fonds consists of an historical sketch of the congregation (1979), a brief congregational history (1969), newspaper clippings (1974, 1977, 1978), a congregational directory (1969), congregational bulletins (1969–1973, 1981, 1983, 1985), membership register (1957–1977), congregational meeting minutes (1955–1958), congregational and church council meeting minutes (1957–1978).

Custodial History

Records were transferred to the Centre for MB Studies archives in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Some records were microfilmed in 1978 through the work of the Historical Commission of the Mennonite Brethren Conference.

Notes

  • Volume 555.
  • Finding aid consists of a series description and a file list is available.
  • Finding aid: The records are classified under the Canadian Conference of MB Churches inventory BD-508.
  • Finding aid for microfilm: R30, pp.1297–1935 with pp.1800 to 1905 inclusive omitted.
  • Described by Bert Friesen 15 October 2001, microfilm file list adapted from a previous finding aid by Leslie Wiebe June 2003.
  • No restrictions.

Series Descriptions

I. Niagara Christian Fellowship Chapel history.
1969–1979.
0.2 cm of textual records.

  • This series consists of a historical sketch of the congregation (1979), a brief congregational history (1969), list of church members (1969), clippings from the MB Herald (1974, 1977, 1978).

II. Niagara Christian Fellowship Chapel bulletins.
1969–1973, 1981, 1983, 1985.
7.8 cm of textual records.

  • This series consists of congregational bulletins (1969–1973, 1981, 1983, 1985).

III. Niagara Christian Fellowship Chapel register.
1957–1977.
30 pp.; microfilm.

  • This series consists of a membership register, family register, birth register, and marriage register (1957–1977).

IV. Niagara Christian Fellowship Chapel minutes.
1955–1978.
503 pp.; microfilm.

  • This series consists of minutes of congregational and church council meeting minutes (1955–1978).

File List

Volume 555

  1. Niagara Christian Fellowship Chapel history. – 1969–1979.
  2. Niagara Christian Fellowship Chapel bulletins. – 1969.
  3. Niagara Christian Fellowship Chapel bulletins. – 1970.
  4. Niagara Christian Fellowship Chapel bulletins. – 1971.
  5. Niagara Christian Fellowship Chapel bulletins. – 1972.
  6. Niagara Christian Fellowship Chapel bulletins. – 1973.
  7. Niagara Christian Fellowship Chapel bulletins. – 1981.
  8. Niagara Christian Fellowship Chapel bulletins. – 1983.
  9. Niagara Christian Fellowship Chapel bulletins. – 1985.

Microfilm file list

Reel 30

  • Membership Records and Statistics (Book IV). – pp. 1906–1935.
  • Congregational Meeting Minutes. – Jan.1955–Jan.1958. – pp. 1297–1337.
  • Congregational & Church Council Minutes. – 1957–1967. – pp. 1338–1587.
  • Congregational & Church Council Minutes. – 1968–1978. – pp. 1588–1799.*

* Note: 107 page numbers, 1799–1906, are left out.

← Back to Institutional Records