← Back to Institutional Records

New Hope Christian Church – Delta, BC

Proper Title

New Hope Christian Church fonds

Dates of Creation

1944–1992

Physical Description

1.5 cm of textual records and 1 microfilm reel

Administrative History

The New Hope Christian Church in Delta, BC, formerly known as Kennedy Heights Mennonite Brethren Church and Strawberry Hill Mennonite Brethren Church, originated in 1944. A number of members of the Vancouver Mennonite Brethren and other Fraser Valley churches had set up residence in Surrey and Delta Municipal Districts. They met in the Kennedy Hall in order to organize a new congregation. Rev. David Quapp chaired the first meeting on November 11, 1944. The first moderator selected was Rev. Gerhard Wiens, assistant moderator Rev. J. J. Neufeld, secretary Henry D. Friesen, treasurer David J. Peters, and deacon H. D. Goertz.

The congregation joined the BC Conference in 1945, as well as purchased the Kennedy Hall, including 5 acres of land. The original building was added to many times and then, in 1970, a new building was erected on the same property. The sanctuary seated about 400 people.

A critical time in the history of the church was when a group of members chose to meet separately and eventually form their own congregation without the blessing of the church.

While the Kennedy Heights Mennonite Brethren Church seeks to minister to the needs of the community, its membership list has a cosmopolitan texture and only English is used in the services to make visitors feel welcome.

In the spring 2003, the Cornerstone Community Church in Surrey merged with members of Kennedy Heights Mennonite Brethren Church to form New Hope Christian Church. The new congregation met in the former Kennedy Heights sanctuary and was led by Cornerstone's pastor, Michael Brown. The congregation is a member of the British Columbia Conference of the Mennonite Brethren Churches.

In 2010, the congregation had 167 members and an average attendance of 107, down from an average attendance of 168 in 2007.

Leaders of the church have included G. Wiens, A.H. Toews, Paul Wiebe, Walter Epp, John Goertz, N. Willems, Rudy Janzen, Calvin Buhler (1981–1985), Art Willms (1986–1988), Henry Wiebe (1988–1991), Ken Dyck (1992–1996), Rey Nickel (1997–2000), Warren Schmidt (2001–2003), Michael Brown (2003–2005?), Chris Arney (2006?–2015?), (Wayne Driedger (2016– ).

Scope and Content

These fonds contains a brief historical sketch, bulletins, membership and family records, annual reports, congregational and church council meeting minutes.

Notes

  • Location: Volume 366, microfilm 70.
  • Description by Shauna Hudson, May 28, 2004; edited by Sheralyn Heinrichs, August 12, 2005.
  • No restrictions on access.
  • Finding aid consists of a file list.

File List

Volume 366

1. Historical Sketch. -- 1985.
2. Bulletins. -- 1968.
3. Bulletins. -- 1991.
4. Bulletins. -- 1992.

Microfilm file list

Reel 70

  • Membership and Family Record – Book I. 2138–2198.
  • Membership Register – Book II. 2199–2259.
  • Family Register – Card File. 2259–2388.
  • Annual Reports to Membership. 1960–1965 1825–1966.
  • Annual Reports to Membership. 1968–1976 1967–2137.
  • Congregational Meeting Minutes. Nov 1944–Sep 1953 660–864.
  • Congregational Meeting Minutes. Sep 1953–Dec 1964 865–1158.
  • Congregational Meeting Minutes. Dec 1964–Sep 1976 1159–1361.
  • Church Council Meeting Minutes. Dec 1948–Feb 1962 1362–1554.
  • Church Council Meeting Minutes. Feb 1962–May 1972 1555–1754.
  • Church Council Meeting Minutes. May 1972–Jun 1974 1755–1824.

Missing

  • Annual Reports. -- 1966–1967.
  • Church Council Meeting Minutes. -- 1944–1947.
← Back to Institutional Records