← Back to Institutional Records

Kelstern Community Church – Kelstern, SK

Proper Title

Kelstern Community Church fonds

Dates of Creation

1911–2006, 2010–2012, 2016

Physical Description

15 cm of textual records

Administrative History

The Gnadenau church began holding services in homes in 1908 and had 34 members. In 1910, the church spilt into two groups: Gnadenau (in the Flowing Well area in the north) and Elim (around the Kelstern area). The Elim church then joined the Mennonite Brethren Conference with 52 members. Peter P. Penner was the first minister.

From 1911 to 1918, the Elim congregation met in the Queen Centre school. The first building was built on a farm about 3 miles west of Kelstern in 1918. The members of the congregation originated through immigration from Russia, Germany, and the United States.

In 1954, the church building was moved to the town of Kelstern. In 1968, the Gnadenau and Elim churches joined and continued to meet in the Elim Church. A new church was built in 1998. In ca. 1998, the church name changed from Elim Mennonite Brethren Church to Kelstern Community Church.

Congregational leaders prior to 1950 included Peter Penner, Jacob Mueller, Gustav Ewert, Paul Koop, Jacob J. Knelson, Abram J. Redekopp, and John G. Redekopp.

Leaders after 1954 were paid pastors and include: Jacob Kehler (1953–1956), Henry Dueck (1956–1958), Jacob Schmidt (1959–1962), J.J. Thiessen (1967–1973), Henry Martens (1973–1977), Earl Wanamaker (1977–1979), Wesley Ulriksen (1979–1983), Bill McGladdery (1983–1989), Archie Jantzen (1989–1993), Arnie Armstrong (1994–2000), Ray Ulriksen (2001–2006), Dion M. Grimm (2008– ).

The congregation celebrated its centennial in July 2010.

The church’s address is now Hodegeville, Saskatchewan.

Scope and Content

This fonds consists of membership records, congregational meeting minutes, young peoples records, and histories. These records show the activities and members of the church. The history items give a good account of the church’s life up to 1985.

Custodial History

The custodial history of this fonds in unclear.

Notes

  • Volume 615.
  • Described by Conrad Stoesz June 6, 2002, microfilm file list adapted from a previous finding aid by Leslie Wiebe June 2003. Updated by Kate Woltmann, August 2014.
  • No restrictions.
  • Finding aid consists of a file list.
  • Location: Saskatchewan Conference of Mennonite Brethren churches congregation BF517; microfilm R46.
  • Language: Much in German.

File List

Volume 615

  1. Young people’s meetings at the Elim MB Church showing the topic titles and speakers. -- 1911–1945.
  2. Elim Mennonite Brethren church of Kelstern 1910–1985 history book. -- 1985.
  3. Elim MB Church history. -- 1979, 1985, 1989.
  4. Church directory. -- [198-?].
  5. Annual reports. -- 2001–2003.
  6. Membership list and church correspondence. -- 2001.
  7. Bulletins. -- 2001.
  8. Bulletins. -- 2005.
  9. Bulletins. -- 2006.
  10. Kelstern MB Church baptism photo [photocopy]. -- 2012.
  11. Anniversary book, 100 Years of Memories: Kelstern Community Church, 1910–2010. -- 2010.
  12. Bulletin. -- 2016.

Microfilm file list

Reel 46

  • Congregational Meeting Minutes. -- Dec.1909–Oct.1941. -- p.1270–1568.
  • Congregational Meeting Minutes. -- Aug.1941–Nov.1969. -- p.1569–1865.
  • Congregational Meeting Minutes. -- Nov.1969–Apr.1976. -- p.1866–1954.
  • Congregational Meeting Minutes. -- Nov.1976–May 1978. -- p.1955–1975.
  • Membership and Family Records (Books I & II). -- 1908–1978. -- pages 2269–2357 (+70).
← Back to Institutional Records