Justice Mennonite Brethren Church – Justice, MB
Justice Mennonite Brethren Church fonds
Dates of Creation
0.1 cm of textual records and 1 microfilm reel
This congregation was begun by Russian immigrants arriving in the Brookdale area in 1927. The congregation was formed in 1930 as the Brookdale Mennonite Brethren Church. The congregation met to worship in private homes and rental facilities until 1944 when the first meeting place was built in the Justice area and the name was changed to Justice Mennonite Brethren Church. In 1953 a new meeting place was built on the same site. The membership in 1930 was 10 members and in 2000 at Justice MB Church was 34 members in 1944 and 41 members in 2000.
The leaders of the congregation were: (in Brookdale MB Church) Jacob A. Loewen (1930–1937), Jacob J. Loewen (1938–1944); (in Justice MB Church) Jacob J. Loewen (1944–1955, 1957–1960), Henry P. Penner (1956, 1961–1962), Ben A. Friesen (1963–1967), Walter Loewen (1968–1975), Peter Friesen (1976–1978), Abe J. Froese (1981–1984), Gerald Peters (1986–1987), Gerry Harms (1989–2020).
The language of worship is English. The transition from German occurred in the 1950s.
Scope and Content
This fonds consist of an undated congregational directory, a brief history (ca.1930–1955), church membership, family, and marriage registers (ca.1935–1979), congregational meeting minutes (1930–1978), and church council meeting minutes (1969–1977).
Records were transferred to the Centre for MB Studies archives in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Some records were microfilmed in 1978 through the work of the Historical Commission of the Mennonite Brethren Conference. That microfilmed material includes a brief history, church membership, family and marriage registers, minutes of congregational meetings and church council meetings.
- Volume 420.
- Finding aids consist of a series description and a file list.
- Formely classified under the Canadian Conference of MB Churches inventory BC-507.
- Finding aid for microfilm: R88, pp.483–1223.
- Described by Bert Friesen September 7, 2001; Updated by Emma Sorensen June 2018. microfilm file list adapted from a previous finding aid by Leslie Wiebe June 2003.
I. Justice Mennonite Brethren Church Directory.
[between 1996 and 1997].
0.1 cm of textual records.
- This series consists of an undated congregational address and telephone directory.
II. Justice Mennonite Brethren Church, Justice, Manitoba Records.
- This series consists of a brief history (ca.1930–1955), church membership, family, and marriage registers (ca.1935–1979), congregational meeting minutes (1930–1978), and church council meeting minutes (1969–1977).
- Justice Mennonite Brethren Church Directory. -- [between 1996 and 1997].
- Baptism. -- 2014.
- Baptism. -- 2017.
Microfilm file list
- Historical Data: brief summaries, including 25th Anniversary event, (Book VI). – ca.1930–1955. – pp. 1218–1223.
- Membership, Family and Marriage Registers (Book I). – ca.1935–1979. – pp. 483–492x.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes (Book II). – Jan.1930–Nov.1937. – pp. 493–537.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes (Book III). – Nov.1937–Nov.1950. – pp. 538–789.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes (Book IV). – Dec.1950–Nov.1978. – pp. 790–1145.
- Church Council (Board) Meeting Agendas (Book V). – Nov.1969–Nov.1977. – pp. 1146–1217.