Greenfarm Mennonite Brethren Church – Greenfarm, SK
Greenfarm Mennonite Brethren Church fonds
Dates of Creation
18 cm of textual records and microfilm
Like other churches in the Herbert Kreis (South Saskatchewan District), Mennonite Brethren pioneers from the east founded the Greenfarm Church in the early years of the twentieth century. J.W. Thiessen led the church at its founding in 1913. The congregation constructed a church building in 1918. By 1950, fifty-six members attended Greenfarm and they supported one missionary. For those under the age of 25, English was the primary language of instruction during Sunday School; adults used German in their classes.
Leaders and ministers since J.W. Thiessen have included Joh. Thiessen, J.J. Thiessen, Isaak P. Penner, and George Penner.
Greenfarm Mennonite Brethren Church dissolved in 1962. Many members transferred to the nearby Mennonite Brethren church at Herbert.
Scope and Content
This fonds consists of the following series: Financial records, congregational meeting minutes, and membership and family records.
The Historical Commission of the Mennonite Brethren Conference microfilmed many of the records in 1978. The originals came to the Centre for Mennonite Brethren Studies as part of Acc. #1999-058.
- Volume 641.
- Formerly classified under the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches inventory BF537.
- Finding aid consists of a series description and a file list.
- Finding aid for microfilm: R45, pp. 701–1421.
- Microfilm file list adapted from a previous finding aid by Leslie Wiebe June 2003.
I. Greenfarm Mennonite Brethren Church financial records.
4 of cm textual records.
- This series consists of two Kassenbücher, or account books. Both list daily and weekly financial transactions such as Sunday offerings and expenses.
- Finding aid: Greenfarm Mennonite Brethren Church fonds file list 1–2.
II. Greenfarm Mennonite Brethren Church congregational meeting minutes.
8 cm of textual records; 556 pp. microfilm.
- This series consists of four books of congregational meeting minutes. The originals are available.
- Finding aid for microfilm: R45, pp. 701–1257.
- Finding aid: Greenfarm Mennonite Brethren Church fonds file list 3–6.
III. Greenfarm Mennonite Brethren Church membership and family records.
6 cm of textual records; 163 pp. microfilm.
- This series consists of two membership and family register books from the Greenfarm Mennonite Brethren Church. The originals are available.
- Also included is the 2005 publication, Memories: Greenfarm MB Church, a compilation of church memories from the Greenfarm families.
- Finding aid for microfilm: R45 pp. 1258–1421.
- Finding aid: Greenfarm Mennonite Brethren Church fonds file list 7–9.
Series I: Financial records
1. Account book. -- 1912–1940.
2. Account book. -- 1912–1948.
Series II: Congregational meeting minutes
3. Minutes. -- 1912–1921.
4. Minutes. -- 1921–1934.
5. Minutes. -- 1934–1950.
6. Minutes. -- 1950–1962.
Series III. Membership and family records
7. Membership and Family Record, Book I. -- 191-?–1940.
8. Membership and Family Record, Book II. -- 1940–1962.
9. Memories: Greenfarm Mennonite Brethren Church. -- 2005.
Microfilm file list
- Membership and Family Record (Book I). – ca.1913–1940. – p.1258–1347.
- Membership and Family Record (Book II). – ca.1940–1961.– p.1348–1421.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes. – June 1912–Aug.1921. – p.701–765.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes. – Dec. 1921–Dec.1934. – p.766–914.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes. – Dec.1934–Aug.1950. – p.915–1116.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes. – Dec.1950–Dec.1961. – p.1117–1257.