Gospel Messengers Inc. – St. Catharines, ON
Gospel Messengers Inc. fonds
Dates of Creation
1 cm of textual materials and 27 photos
The "Messengers" started as a male quartet involved in the Radio ministry of the Virgil Mennonite Brethren Church (Moments of Blessing). John Block, Menno Kroeker, Rudy Voth, and Peter Block sang together for fifteen years (1952–1967). A number of other men joined and sang for varying periods of time after 1967, including Abe Block, Neil Block, Al Braun, Ron Carleton, Elmer Dyck, Walter Janzen, Bill Schroeder, Al Voth, and others.
The Gospel Messengers incorporated in 1964. In 1967, the Messengers entered full-time ministry, travelling across North America, conducting evangelistic events, and singing in churches. They were commonly known as "The Messenger' Quartet" or "The Messengers" when they teamed up with various evangelists. In 1969, Rudy Boschman joined the team as the speaker, and for the next five years, the Messengers were sponsored by the Canadian Mennonite Brethren Conference and conducted evangelistic campaigns in many communities.
In 1971, the Messengers began an association with Global Outreach Inc., a world-wide missionary organization, in order to help with the administration of mailings required to raise financial support and to facilitate its bookings. In 1980, the Messengers merged with Global as one of its many missionary groups. John Block served as a singer in the quartet for 30 years (1952–1982) and served as executive-secretary of Global Outreach (Canadian Office) in St. Catharines, Ontario.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of news letters, correspondence, prayer cards, and photos related to the Gospel Messengers Inc. and its thirty-year ministry history. These documents provide a glimpse of the workings of a particular missionary enterprise—its mission, vision, and ministry.
These materials came to CMBS in June 2020 from John Block, the base voice of the Messengers Quartet (1952–1982), who also served as the president of the Gospel Messengers Inc.
- Location: Volume 1013.
- Described by Jon Isaak, August 2020.
- Accession no.: 2020-04.
- Finding aid consists of a description and file folder list.
- See MAID online photo collection (NP098-03) at https://archives.mhsc.ca/gospel-messengers-quartet as well as other collections in MAID (see https://archives.mhsc.ca/music-messengers-quartet).
- No restrictions on access.
- Language: English.
1. History of the Gospel Messengers Inc. (1952–1982) by John Block. -- 2020.
2. Promotional pamphlets, photos, and prayer cards used by the Messengers through its 30-year ministry. -- 1952–1982.
3. Director's correspondence with Global Outreach Inc. and Revenue Canada. --1971–1974.
4. Newsletters, articles, and honorary "coat of arms" from the Province of Ontario. -- 1955–1976.