Gospel Light Church – Debolt, AB
Gospel Light Church fonds
Dates of Creation
1 cm of textual records and 1 microfilm reel
In the late 1920s, Mennonite families settled in the Crooked Creek area of northern Alberta. The Mennonite Brethren families worshiped together with the Church of God in Christ Mennonite (Holdeman) families. Since they were barred from taking communion together, the Mennonite Brethren families built a school in the Cornwall area in 1936 and worshiped there. In 1943, they built their own meeting house.
After the war years, families starting moving away, and the remaining families began to worship with the Holdeman group again. In 1955, the Mennonite Brethren families increased again to the point where the congregation re-opened in 1960 and joined the Mennonite Brethren conference. It was called the Crooked Creek Mennonite Brethren group, but in 1961–1963, it was referred to as the Cornwall Mennonite Brethren group. From 1964 to 1983, it was known as the Crooked Creek Mennonite Brethren Church.
In 1964, a new meeting house was completed in the Ridgevalley hamlet between Crooked Creek and DeBolt. In the 1980s, these facilities were less central, but a rift caused a division in the congregation. The group that remained built a new meeting house in DeBolt in 1985. The congregation was now called the Gospel Light Church, DeBolt (Mennonite Brethren). In 1998, this remaining group decided to leave the Mennonite Brethren conference and joined the Christian and Missionary Alliance Conference.
The leaders of the congregation were Peter Schroeder ([193-?]), Christian Hauff ([193-?-194-?]), Nick Thiessen (1960–1968), Peter Penner (1969–1981, 1986–1989), James Cornelsen (1982), Peter Doerksen (1983–1986), Robert Sukkau (1990–1991), Paul Warnock (1992–1998).
Language of worship is English.
Scope and Content
This fonds consists of brief congregational histories (1960, 1986), congregational bulletins (1985–1986), congregational annual meeting minutes and reports (1959–1977), congregational meeting minutes (1960–1976), church council meeting minutes (1968).
Records were transferred to the Centre for MB Studies archives in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Some records were microfilmed in 1978 through the work of the Historical Commission of the Mennonite Brethren Conference.
- Volume 329.
- Finding aid consists of a series description and a file list.
- Formerly classified under the Canadian Conference of MB Churches inventory BA-504.
- Finding aid for microfilm: R54, pp.1–214.
- Described by Bert Friesen 26 September 2001, microfilm file list adapted from a previous finding aid by Leslie Wiebe June 2003.
- No restrictions.
I. Gospel Light Church history.
0.2 cm of textual records.
- This series consists of a brief congregational history (1986).
- Location: Volume 329, file 1.
II. Gospel Light Church bulletins.
0.8 cm of textual records.
- This series consists of congregational bulletins (1985–1986).
- Location: Volume 329, file 2.
III. Crooked Creek Mennonite Brethren Church history.
8 pp.; microfilm and one file of textual material.
- This series consists of a brief congregational history (1960).
- Location: Microfilm #54.
IV. Crooked Creek Mennonite Brethren Church minutes.
206 pp.; microfilm.
- This series consists of congregational annual meeting minutes and reports (1959–1977), congregational meeting minutes (1960–1976), church council meeting minutes (1968).
- Location: Microfilm #54.
- Gospel Light Church history. -- 1986.
- Gospel Light Church bulletins. -- 1985–1986.
Microfilm file list
- Brief History of events. – 1933–1959. – p.1–8.
- Congregational Minutes; annual, general and special meetings. – 1959–Oct. 1977. – p.9–214.