Gospel Fellowship Church – Foam Lake, SK
Gospel Fellowship Church fonds
Dates of Creation
5 cm of textual records and one microfilm reel
The Gospel Fellowship Church at Foam Lake is a member of the Canadian Conference of the Mennonite Brethren Churches. The Mennonite Brethren Church of Foam Lake was organized in 1938, with Nick Janz as the first pastor, and was accepted into the Canadian Conference in 1939. The first services were held in the Bertdale Hall, north-west of town. In 1940, twenty-two persons were baptized and added to the church. A church building was erected in 1945.
During the 1960s, the General Conference Mennonite Church closed and its members joined the Mennonite Brethren Church. In 1979, the church changed its name from Foam Lake Mennonite Brethren Church to the Gospel Fellowship Church.
Pastors have been Nick Janz (1938–?), David Thiessen, Henry Regehr, Peter Penner, George Petkau, Alvin Penner (1953–1956), J.H. Kehler (1956–1961), Gerhard Reimer (1961–1966), Peter Willms (1966–1968), Frank Froese (1968–1974), John Siemens (1974–1979), Daniel Stobbe (1980–1986), Art Isaac (1987–1993), Dennis Friesen (1994–2005), Adam Lewis (2005–2009), Manfred Koehler (2010–2012), Ken Klassen (2013–2014), Ken Graham (2014– ).
In 1997, the Gospel Fellowship Church had 50 members, in 2010, 37.
Scope and Content
This fonds consists of the following series: Membership records, congregational minutes (available on microfilm only) and weekly bulletins.
Many of the records were microfilmed in 1978 through the work of the Historical Commission of the Mennonite Brethren Conference.
- Volume 611.
- Finding aid: The textual records are classified under the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches inventory BF515.
- Finding aid for microfilm: R7, pp. 861–1118.
- Microfilm file list adapted from a previous finding aid by Leslie Wiebe June 2003.
I. Foam Lake Gospel Fellowship Church membership records.
53 pp.; microfilm.
- Church membership and family register Book I.
available on microfilm only.
- Finding aid: Foam Lake Gospel Fellowship Church R7, pp. 861–914.
II. Foam Lake Gospel Fellowship Church minutes of congregational meetings.
203 pp.; microfilm.
- Minutes of the congregation from 1938 to 1972, available on microfilm only.
- Finding aid: Foam Lake Gospel Fellowship Church R7, pp. 915–1118.
III. Foam Lake Gospel Fellowship Church bulletins & other materials.
1971–2001, predominant 1989–1992.
5 cm of textual records.
- This series consists of historical notes and church bulletins.
- Findings aid: Volume 611.
1. Historical notes. -- 1971.
2. Congregational history. -- 1985.
3. Church bulletins. -- 1989.
4. Church bulletins. -- 1990.
5. Church bulletins. -- 1991.
6. Church bulletins. -- 1992.
7. Financial report. -- 1995.
8. Church photo directory. -- 2001.
Microfilm file list
- Church Membership and Family Register (Book I). – 1932–1972. – p.861–914.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes (Book II). – 1938–1972. – p.915–1118.