Gnadenau Mennonite Brethren Church – Flowing Well, SK
Gnadenau Mennonite Brethren Church fonds
Dates of Creation
17 cm of textual records and one microfilm reel
Mennonite Brethren pioneers to Saskatchewan founded the Gnadenau Mennonite Brethren Church in 1906. Located at Flowing Well, approximately 50 km east of Swift Current, the Church elected John F. Harms as its first leader in 1907. It was part of the Herbert Kreis, or south Saskatchewan District. Many of the pioneers came from Manitoba and North Dakota, with a handful from Russia. The church ceased to meet in 1968; many of the members transferred to the Mennonite Brethren churches in Herbert and Swift Current.
Rudolph Wirsche, member of Gnadenau from 1930 until 1950, contributed energetically to the success of the West Bank Bible Camp in South Saskatchewan during the 1940s.
Scope and Content
This fonds consists of the following series: membership and family records and congregational meeting minutes.
The Historical Commission of the Mennonite Brethren Conference microfilmed many of the records in 1978. The originals of the membership and family records came to the Centre for Mennonite Brethren Studies from the Herbert MB Church after a visits by Centre director Abe Dueck. A larger donation came in 2003 from Albert Barkman via his son Loralie. Albert Barkman was a long time resident of the Flowing Well area and as one of the senior residence was given the records of other former residence of the area such as John E. Prieb.
- Volume 639, 640.
- Described by Alvina Block in 1998; updated by Conrad Stoesz February 16, 2004.
- Formerly classified under the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches inventory BF536.
- Finding aid consists of a series description and a file list.
- Finding aid for microfilm: R45, pp. 1422–1712.
- Microfilm file list adapted from a previous finding aid by Leslie Wiebe June 2003.
- Accession No. 1999-058, 2003-014.
- Language: Mostly German.
I. Gnadenau Mennonite Brethren Church membership and family records.
166 pp.; microfilm and 2 cm textual material.
- This series consists of membership and family records available on microfilm and as originals.
- Finding aid for microfilm: Gnadenau Mennonite Brethren Church R45, pp. 1546–1712.
- Finding aid: Vol. 640, file list 1–2.
II. Gnadenau Mennonite Brethren Church congregational meeting minutes.
7 cm of textual records and 123 pp.; microfilm.
- This series consists of minutes of the congregation from 1921–1968.
- Finding aid: Gnadenau Mennonite Brethren Church microfilm reel R45, pp.1422–1545.
- Vol. 640, file list: 3–10.
III. Gnadenau Mennonite Brethren Church Property committee.
2 cm of textual records.
- This series consists of one bound scribbler containing minutes of the property committee.
- Vol. 640, file List: 11.
IV. Gnadenau Mennonite Brethren Church Christlicher Jugendversamlung.
2 cm of textual records.
- This series consists of one bound record book of minutes of the young people’s meetings.
- Vol. 640, file List: 12.
V. Gnadenau Mennonite Brethren Church finances.
1 cm of textual records.
- This series consists of a scribbler and a number of loose pages giving financial information for the various programs of the church.
- Vol. 640, file List: 13
VI. Gnadenau Mennonite Brethren Church Sunday school attendance and donations.
- This series consists of two bound documents that detail the attendance of individual children and the amount of money the Sunday school took in.
- Vol. 640, file List: 14–15.
VII. Gnadenau Mennonite Brethren Church correspondence.
1 cm of textual records.
- This series consists of correspondence to workers in the church, primarily Albert Barkman and John Prieb regarding church programs.
- Vol. 640, file list: 16.
4. Congregational financial records. -- 1957-1968.
5. Ledger book; Church register (n.d.); Sunday School records. -- 1944-1967.
6. Congregational stamp. -- n.d.
- Membership and family records Book I. -- [192-?]–1936.
- Membership and family records Book II. -- [192-?]–1968.
- Church meeting minutes. -- 1915–1921.
- Church meeting minutes. -- 1921–1940.
- Congregational meeting minutes. -- 1941–1968.
- Annual congregational meeting minutes. -- 1937–1943.
- Annual congregational meeting minutes. -- 1948–1950.
- Annual congregational meeting minutes. -- 1951–1956.
- Annual congregational meeting minutes. -- 1956–1966.
- Loose pages of meeting minutes. -- 1932–1963.
- Property committee meeting minutes. -- 1932–1937.
- Christlicher Jugendversamlung (Christian young peoples gathering) minutes. -- 1926–1944.
- Church finances and financial statements. -- 1925–1966.
- Sunday school attendance and donation records. -- 1916–1922.
- Sunday school attendance records. -- 1914–1915.
- Church correspondence. -- 1916–1965.
- History. -- n.d.
Microfilm file list
- Membership and Family Records (Book I). – ca.1909–1937. – p.1546–1638.
- Membership and Family Records (Book II). – ca.1928–1970. – p.1639–1712 (+115).
- Congregational Meeting Minutes. – 1921–1940. – p.1422–1493.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes. – 1941–1968. – p.1494–1545.