Emmanuel Mennonite Brethren Church – Langham, SK
Emmanule Mennonite Brethren Church fonds
Dates of Creation
2 cm of textual records and one microfilm reel
The Emmanuel Krimmer Mennonite Brethren Church, Langham, Saskatchewan, had its beginning in 1901 when a few members from South Dakota moved to the Langham area. At first the members met in homes with Andrew Stahl as their leader.
A church was built in the summer of 1917, located 11.5 miles southeast of Langham in the midst of a Hutterite colony and named Emmanuel (Gott mit Uns). According to the 1945 KMB yearbook the church organized in 1905. In 1945 the Emmanuel KMB Church had 35 members with an average attendance of 22 and 135 attending monthly young people’s meetings. The baptized membership in 1955 was 50, all of whom were rural people.
Church leaders were Andrew Stahl (1901–1940), Paul Stahl (1941–1965), and Jacob M. Waldner (1966–ca. 1972). The Emmanuel KMB Church became an MB church in 1960 when the Krimmer MB Conference merged with the Canadian MB Conference. No church information is given for Emmanuel after 1972 in Canadian MB Conference yearbooks and church records also cease after 1972.
Scope and Content
This fonds consists of a history of the Emmanuel KMB Church between 1901 to 1917 and two duo-tang notebooks of minutes of Church Council and congregational meetings, all in the English language.
Many of the records were microfilmed in 1978 through the work of the Historical Commission of the Mennonite Brethren Conference. The textual records came to the Centre for Mennonite Brethren Studies in 1996 from the Bethany Bible School in Saskatchewan, where they had been housed, probably since the microfilming was done in 1978.
- Volume 639.
- Finding aid: The records are classified under the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches inventory BF535.
- Finding aid for microfilm: R15, pp. 798–840.
- Microfilm file list adapted from a previous finding aid by Leslie Wiebe June 2003.
- History of Emmanuel (Langham) MB Church, 1901–1917. Author not given. – 1967.
- Book II: Minutes of Church Council and congregation. – October 1956–November 1968.
- Minutes of Church Council and congregation. – November 1969–November 1972.
Microfilm file list
- History with Record of Baptism (Book I). – 1901–1953. – p.798–802.
- Church Board and Congregational Meeting Minutes (Book II). – Oct.1956–Nov.1968. – p.803–836.
- Church Board and Congregational Meeting Minutes (Book III). – Nov.1969–Nov.1972. – p.837–840.