Emmanuel Community Church – Pierceland, SK
Emmanuel Community Church fonds
Dates of Creation
5 mm of textual records and 2 photographs
The Emmanuel Community Church was originally known as the The Pierceland Mennonite Brethren Church. It began as a mission church under the auspices of the Western Children’s Mission.
Beginning in 1939 Bethany Bible School students visited homes in the area and taught Daily Vacation Bible School. They also held church services in homes or in local schools. People actively involved in the beginning were Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Dyck, Ben Kroeker (Brotherfield), and George Giesbrecht (Hepburn). The first church building was made of squared logs and was built by local Christians. At first the building was divided into an auditorium and a manse. In 1960 a new church was built and in 1962 the church became indigenous.
In 1994 the church chaged its name to Grace Community Church. In 1997 the church joined with another church in the community known as the Victory Chapel. The new name of the church after this merger was Emmanuel Community Church.
Pastors were Abe Wiebe (1939–1944, 1947–1950), Dave Fehr (1945–1946), John G. Willems (1952–1956), Albert Pahlke (1956–1958, 1969–1971, 1973–1977), Waldo Lepp (1958–1959), George Reimer (1959–1963), Walter Penner (1963–1967), Adolph Redekopp (1967–1969), Carroll Hill (1971–1974), Isaac Sawatzky (1977–1992), Vince Hill (1993) and Steven K. Wiebe (1994–).
Scope and Content
This fonds consists of some historical notes.
Most of these historical notes were at Centre for Mennonite Brethren Studies before 1996, while file 1 came from the Bethany Bible School Archives.
- Volume 622.
- Finding aid: consits of a file list. The records are classified under the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches inventory BF524.
- Updated by Conrad Stoesz September 4, 2008.
- No restrictions on access.
- Historical notes. – 1978?
- “History of Church.” – 1978?
- “The Mennonite Brethren Church, Pierceland, Sask,” a history of the church. – 1985.
- Financial report. - 1995.
Two photographs – one of the church building and one of the congregation. – 1956?