Domain Mennonite Brethren Church – Domain, MB
Domain Mennonite Brethren Church fonds
Dates of Creation
19 cm of textual records, one microfilm reel, and one b&w photograph
The first Mennonite families to settle in the Domain, La Salle, Osborne, and Sanford area came from southern Russia in 1925. A larger group followed in 1926. Sunday services were held in the homes of the settlers. Jacob Penner was the spiritual leader of the group. The Mennonite Brethren church was formally organized in 1926, with 44 active members. During the summer months the services included the two groups from La Salle and Osborne, while in winter the groups met separately.
In 1931, the first church was built which served primarily the Domain–La Salle group. At this time, some of the ministers began to serve in the church such as Abraham Froese, John Friesen, Aron C. Pauls, and Philip Wiebe. After Penner left for Ontario, Aron Pauls took over the leadership. The church continued to grow in people and programs such as choirs, Sunday Schools in German and English. In 1958, one service a month was in English and that grew to 75% English services by 1967.
The Osborne group had decreased in number and up to 1942, and held their services in a vacant farm house. In 1942, they purchased the old Osborne school and moved it 2 miles west of Osborne. The group existed until 1952, with J.B. Wiens serving the group. At this time the two groups merged to form the Domain Mennonite Brethren church. The two existing churches were sold and a new one built
In 1963, William Schroeder was ordained into the ministry in this church. In 1967, J.J. Neufeld was ordained minster after Schroeder resigned. The church held its final service in September 1980. At a congregational meeting on January 19, 1981, the rural Domain MB Church voted to close the doors of their congregation, effective March 1.
Language of worship is English. The transition from German occurred in the 1960s.
Scope and Content
The material in this collection consists of the material from the beginning of the church to when it closed its doors in 1982. That material includes church membership registers and certificates, minutes and finances, Ladies fellowship records, and scattered historical reflections. Some of the material is in handwritten German Gothic script.
Some of the records were microfilmed in 1978, through the work of the Historical Commission of the Mennonite Brethren Conference. A copy of a letter was donated to the Center by Harry Wall regarding the building of the church on October 8, 1980. The third donation was donated by Herman Rempel of Morris, Manitoba in 1995.
- Volumes 513–514.
- Described by Conrad Stoesz January 27, 2000, microfilm file list adapted from a previous finding aid by Leslie Wiebe June 2003.
- Formerly classified under the Canadian Conference of MB Churches inventory BC-532.
- Finding aid consists of a file list.
- Microfilm #85.
- Accession nos. 1980-67, 1995-32.
- Related Material: Photograph collection NP52-2-24 and Manitoba Mennonite Brethren Conference fonds, Administrator's Files, box 1:22.
1. Scattered Domain historical materials. -- 1926–1928, 1967, 1975, 1978, 1980.
2. Domain Ladies Fellowship minutes. -- 1957–1969.
3. Ladies Fellowship sponsorship correspondence and general cards. -- 1962, 1963, 1967, 1970–1974.
4. Ladies Fellowship correspondence. -- 1959–1968.
5. Ladies Fellowship correspondence. -- 1968–1974.
6. Domain MB Church Book #3: Church Membership and marriage Registers, 1940–1978? -- 1940–1978.
7. Historical summaries. -- 1965, 1977.
8. Domain MB Church Book #4 Congregational Minutes, Sept. 1926–Dec. 1952. -- 1926–1952.
9. Domain MB Church Book #5 Congregational Minutes, Jan. 1953–Nov. 1971. Note: There are a number of loose pages in this item which have been stamped as if there were a part of the minute book. -- 1953–1971.
10. Membership certificates. -- 1924–1964.
11. Domain MB Church Book #2: Church Membership Register, ca. 1926–ca. 1939. -- 1926–1939.
12. Domain MB Church Book #6 Congregational minutes, Nov. 1971–April 1975. Note: There are a number of loose pages in this item which have been stamped as if there were a part of the minute book. -- 1971–1975.
13. Domain MB Church Book #7: Congregational Minutes, April 1975–April 1978. -- 1975–1978.
14. Domain MB Church congregational Minutes and correspondence. -- 1979–1981.
15. Church council minutes. -- 1979–1981.
16. Financial reports. -- 1978–1979.
17. Annual meeting minutes. -- 1978–1981.
18. Domain Chapel Committee. -- 1957, 1981–1983.
19. Congregational minutes. -- 1926, 1930–1931, 1939–1944.
20. Photo of the Ben and Anne Klassen family. b&w – 26 x 20 cm. This photo is of the Klassen family while they are missionaries in Zaire, Africa. -- 1973.
21. Receipt books. -- 1964–1966.
Microfilm file list
- Historical Data (Book I). – ca.1926–1977. – p. 1619–1625.
- Church Membership Register (Book II). – ca.1926–ca.1939. – p. 1626–1664.
- Church Membership and Marariage Registers (Book III). – 1940–1979. – p .1665–1703.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes (Book IV). – Sept. 1926–Dec. 1952. – p. 1704–1796.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes (Book V). – Jan. 1953–Nov. 1971. – p. 1797–1942.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes (Book VI). – Nov. 1971–Apr. 1975. – p. 1943–1969.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes (Book VII). – Apr. 1975–Apr. 1978. – p. 1970–2002.