Conrad Grebel University College – Waterloo, ON
Conrad Grebel University College fonds
Dates of Creation
12 cm of textual records
When the University of Waterloo in Ontario was founded in 1956, it extended invitations to several religious groups to establish residential colleges on their campus. The results were the beginnings of four new colleges: a Mennonite College, a Catholic College, an Anglican College, and a United Church College. The Mennonite College was supported by The Mennonite Conference of Ontario, The United Mennonite Conference of Ontario, The Ontario Amish Mennonite Conference, and the Sterling Avenue Mennonite Church. In 1961, the government issued a charter to the Mennonite College under the name of Conrad Grebel College. In September of the same year (1961), an official agreement was made between the Mennonites and the University of Waterloo. Similar agreements were made with the other three institutions.
The College opened in 1964, offering one course and providing accommodation for 100 students who could attend the University of Waterloo. The faculty has grown considerably since the school opened and the curriculum has expanded as well. Between 1973 and 1976 a music program was established and in 1977 the peace and conflict studies program was approved. In 1987, the Masters of Theological Studies program began as the college obtained authorization to grant theological degrees.
Dr. J. Winfield Fretz was the first president of Conrad Grebel College. Following Fretz (1964–1972) was Frank H. Epp (1972–1979), Ralph Lebold (1979–1989), Rodney J. Sawatsky (1989–1994), Ernie Regehr (1994–1995), Hildi Froese Tiessen (1995), and John E. Toews (1995–2002).
Scope and Content
Records found in this collection consist of correspondence, minutes, reports and articles largely dealing with the opening of the college. There are also pamphlets promoting the accommodations and the courses offered at the college.
The custodial history of this fonds is unclear.
- Volume 711.
- Some restrictions apply.
- Finding aid consists of a file list.
- Described by Leslie Wiebe, July 26, 2002.
- Location: Institutional Records – Conrad Grebel College.
- Correspondence. – 1959–1960.
- Minutes. – 1959–1960.
- Reports. – 1959–1960.
- Correspondence Minutes and Reports. – 1961–1962.
- Enrollment Statistics. – 1957–1962.
- Financial Statements and fundraising. – 1959–1962.
- Agreements and Bylaws. – 1953–1962.
- Correspondence and Reports regarding College Symposium. – 1966.
- Report regarding termination of a staff member. – [1994?].
- Articles. – 1964–1976.
- Pamphlets and List of Course Offerings. – [198-?].
- University of Waterloo pamphlets and registration forms. – 1959–1961.
- Annual Reports. – 1974.
Jahrgeist Yearbooks. – 1986–1988.