Board of Communications (1994–2002)
Board of Communications series
Dates of Creation
10 cm of textual records
The Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches experienced a restructuring in 1994, which was implemented at the 82nd Convention in Edmonton, Alberta. The Board of Communications emerged from this restructuring, taking responsibility for the periodical publications (previously under the Board of Faith and Life) and for the Centre for MB Studies (previously under the Board of Higher Education). The Board of Communications was responsible for developing and promoting communication products in various media and strategies, reporting all plans and activities to the Executive Board and presenting reports at the biennial MB conventions. The Board of Communications only had two Board Chair representatives during its existence: John Reimer (1994-1998) and Doug Heidebrecht (1998-2002).
In 2002, the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches decided to dissolve the Board of Communications, along with the Board of Education Ministries and the Board of Evangelism, in favor of amalgamating these services into one board. The result was the Board of Discipleship, which was affirmed at the Mennonite Brethren Convention in 2002.
Scope and Content
This series belongs to the Boards and Committees sous-fonds and the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren churches fonds. The records consist of minutes, correspondence and reports of the Board of Communications. Among these reports are those from the MB Herald, Mennonitische Rundschau, Le Lien, Mennonite Brethren Chinese Herald, Kindred Productions and the Centre for Mennonite Brethren Studies. This series also contains Board of Communication files compiled and created by the Canadian Conference of MB churches executive director (David Wiebe) and the chair of the board, Doug Heidebrecht.
Materials were forwarded or donated to the Centre at regular intervals or upon the retirement of staff.
- Volumes 134-135.
- Accession No.: 2000-004, 2001-014, 2005-004.
- Finding aid consists of sub-series and a file list.
- Described by Kate Woltmann, 2014.
- Some restrictions on access.
- Related materials: Board of Publications series, Board of Faith and Life series, Board of Discipleship Ministries series, Communications series.
- No further accruals expected.
17. Board of Communications minutes and reports. -- 1994-1995.
18. Board of Communications minutes and reports. -- 1996.
19. Board of Communications minutes and reports (July). -- 1997.
20. Board of Communications minutes and reports. -- 1998.
21. Mennonitische Rundschau Task Force. Minutes and Correspondence. -- 1997–1998.
22. Chinese Herald: Family Tree of the Chinese MB. -- 1999.
1. Board of Communications minutes and reports. -- 1999.
2. Board of Communications evaluations for MB Herald editors. -- 1997-2001.
3. Board of Communications evaluation of the MB Herald. -- 1998-2001.
4. Board of Communications minutes, reports and correspondence. -- 2000.
5. Board of Communications minutes and reports. -- 2001.
6. Board of Communications minutes and reports. -- 2002.
7. Board of Communications manual. -- 1998.
8. Web Pastor. Correspondence. -- 2001-2002.
9. Kindred Productions: Policy and Procedure Manual. -- 1996.