Black Creek Mennonite Brethren Church – Black Creek, BC
Black Creek Mennonite Brethren Church fonds
Dates of Creation
6 cm of textual records and 1 microfilm reel
On December 30, 1934, a group of seventeen Christians began plans for the formation of what was to become the Black Creek Mennonite Brethren Church (Black Creek, BC). The decision was formalized January 6, 1935. After considerable discussion, the name “Merville Mennonite Brethren Church” was chosen, since, at that time, Merville, BC, was the closest Post Office. The name did not stick. As of a February 1, 1937 meeting, the official name was changed to Black Creek Mennonite Brethren Church. During this same meeting, members also decided to seek affiliation with the BC and Canadian Conferences of Mennonite Brethren Churches.
Land for a building site was donated by [Isaac?] Goertzen and Henry Falk, and a five-dollar per member levy also helped cover costs. The building was dedicated December 1937, and served the church until 1953. At this time a new structure, seating about 200 people, was built almost entirely with volunteer labour. The new building was dedicated April 11, 1954 with Rev. J.F. Redekop and Rev. J.A. Harder as guest speakers. A foyer section with additional Sunday school classes was added in the summer of 1966, and, in 1973, a two storey educational wing was added.
In 1935, Franz Friesen was elected church leader for a six-month period, Isaac Goertzen as assistant church leader and recording secretary, and Isaak Matthies as treasurer. Jacob Falk (1940–1942), John Goerz (1942–1956), Jacob B. Falk (1956–1960), Jacob Schoenke (1940–1960), Cornelius Thiessen (1956–1960), Bernard Falk (1956–1960), Alvin Philippsen (1956–1960), and Abert Wedel (1956–1960) also served as preachers and leaders during these early years. In 1960, the congregation hired John A. Harder as its first paid pastor – Goerz had been the first paid minister. Harder served the church for three years, helping it through a difficult transition to English-language services. The following pastors served the church in subsequent years: John E. Klassen (1963–1974), Albert Durksen (1975–1980), John Falk (1981–1985), Alvin Philippsen (1985–1986), and Barry Falk (1987– ).
The language of worship is English. The transition from German occured during the 1960's.
Scope and Content
This fonds consists of a brief history of the church, bulletins, a membership and family register, annual financial reports, and congregational and council meeting minutes.
- Location: Volume 356.
- Finding aid consists of a file list.
- The records are classified under the Canadian Conference of MB Churches inventory number BB507, and partially located on microfilm reel 62.
- Described by Shauna Hudson, May 26, 2004. Edited by Donovan Giesbrecht, August 27, 2004.
- Related material: Johnnie Falk fonds.
- No restrictions on access.
1. History. -- 1934–1985.
2. Bulletins. -- 1985.
3. Bulletins. -- 1986.
4. Bulletins. -- 1987.
5. Bulletins. -- 1988.
6. Bulletins. -- 1989.
7. Bulletins. -- 1990.
8. Bulletins. -- 1991.
9. Bulletins. -- 1992.
10. Bulletins. -- 1993.
Microfilm file list
- Membership and Family Register. Book 2. -- p. 1549–11639.
- Annual Financial Reports. 1960, 1962–1976. -- p. 1510–1548.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes. Dec 1934–Dec 1950. -- p. 674–872.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes. Feb 1951–Nov 1959. -- p. 873–1072.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes. Dec 1959–Dec 1967. -- p. 1072–1235.
- Congregational and Council Minutes. Jan 1968–Jun 1972. -- p. 1236–1357.
- Congregational and Council Minutes. Jul 1972–? -- p. 1358–1509.