Altona Mennonite Brethren Church – Altona, MB
Altona Mennonite Brethren Church fonds
Dates of Creation
7 cm of textual records and 1 microfilm reel
The Altona Mennonite Brethren Church began in 1927. Its earliest members originated from the Soviet Union. For the first four years the congregation met in a rented house occasionally for church meetings. Teachers and students of the Winkler Bible School held evangelistic meetings as well. In 1931, the church was officially organized under the leadership of Johann Andres with about 15 members. In 1932, it was affiliated with the Manitoba Conference. They continued to meet in a rented house, and, in 1937, a small building was bought.
The leaders of the church include Johann Andres (1931–1934), H. P. Toews (1935–1936), Joh. Andres (1937–1942), F. B. Friesen (1943), Gerh. Braun (1944–1950). The church dissolved in 1951 because some members moved away and others formed their own fellowship.
The language of worship is German.
Scope and Content
This fond consists of financial data, membership records and transfers.
Some of the records were microfilmed in 1978 through the work of the Historical Commission of the Mennonite Brethren Conference.
- Volume 515.
- Formerly classified under the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches inventory BC533.
- Finding aid consists of a file list.
- Finding aid for microfilm: R90, pp. 948–1006.
- Microfilm file list adapted from a previous finding aid by Leslie Wiebe June 2003.
- Related material: Manitoba Mennonite Brethren Conference fonds, Moderator's Files, Box 1, No. 16.
- Membership Transfers.
- Finances. -- 1943–1946.
- Altona MB Church Membership Record. -- 1941–1944.
- Altona MB Church Treasury Ledger. -- 1939–1947.
- Financial Accounts (on microfilm). -- 1941–1951.
- Minutes of the Final Congregational Meeting (on microfilm). -- June 12, 1951.
Microfilm file list
- Congregational meeting minutes of the final meeting (Book 9). – June 12, 1951. – p.1003–1006.
- Financial Accounts (Book 9). – 1941–1951. – p.948–1002.