Alexander Mennonite Brethren Church – Alexander, MB
Alexander Mennonite Brethren Church fonds
Dates of Creation
20 cm of textual records and 1 microfilm reel
Griswold MB Church was founded on June 5, 1926, with Henry Penner of Alexander as its leader. There were 22 members that met in homes until 1929 when a church building was bought in Griswold with a seating capacity of 150 people. In 1954, the congregation built a new church in Alexander. Their dedication service was held on September 19, 1954. The name was changed to Alexander MB Church. On April 16, 1973, there was a unanimous decision to close the church. All memberships were transferred to the Brandon MB Church.
The churches leaders included Jacob Abrahams (1930), J. J. Friesen (1931–1932), P. J. Heide (1933), J. N. Wittenberg (1934–1937), Peter Mandtler (1938–1944), Abraham Friesen (1945–1951), Abe L. Klassen (1952), John J. Krueger (1953–1960), H. C. Schroeder (1961–1964), Peter J. Doerksen (1966–1971).
The language of worship is German.
Scope and Content
This fond consists of membership, family and marriage records, baptisms, births, financial records, Statistical Questionnaires for the Canadian Conference, Memories of Griswold MB Church, church minutes, and a choir book.
Some of the records were microfilmed in 1978 through the work of the Historical Commission of the Mennonite Brethren Conference. The textual records, after the church dissolved, were transferred to the Richmond Mennonite Brethren Church (Brandon) and then came to the Centre for Mennonite Brethren Studies in November, 1989. A third donation came via Shirley Bergen when she brought some Richmond Park, Brandon church records, included were some Alexander (Griswold MB Church) photos.
- Volumes 507–508.
- Formerly classified under the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches inventory BC529.
- Finding aid consists of a file list.
- Finding aid for microfilm: R89, pp. 1109–1317.
- Finding aid for photographs: NP151-01. See also NP149-01-6616.
- Acc. No. 1989–14
- No restrictions.
- Microfilm file list adapted from a previous finding aid by Leslie Wiebe June 2003.
- Financial Statements. -- 1963–1970.
- Church Council Agenda. -- 1969–1971.
- Membership Agenda. -- 1963–1971.
- Church Statistics. -- 1963–1970.
- Correspondence and Bulletins. -- 1963–1964.
- Statistical Questionnaires for the Canadian Conference. -- 1950–1962.
- Membership Transfer Certificates.
- Memories of Griswold MB Church.
- Register of Work Days. -- 1954.
- Financial Ledger. -- 1954–1961.
- Choir Book of Griswold MB Church.
- Richmond Park MB Church Membership, Family and Marriage Register. -- 1925–1956.
- Sunday School Register. -- 1946.
- Church Minutes (official). -- 1928–1931.
- Church Minutes (official). -- 1932–1947.
- Church Minutes. -- 1947.
- Church Minutes. -- 1962–1969.
- Church Minutes. -- 1970–1973.
- Church Minutes (official). -- 1948–1955.
- Church Minutes (official). -- 1955–1961.
- Church Minutes (official). -- 1961–1968.
- Bank Ledger. -- 1954–1957.
- Bank Ledger. -- 1954–1959.
- Marriage Register. -- 1969.
- Church Membership, Family, Baptismal, and Marriage Registers. -- ca.1926–1938.
- Church Membership, Family and Baptismal Registers. -- ca.1926–1972.
NP151-01: Alexander MB Church Photographs – Access No. 2002-005
- NP151-01:1: Interior of the Alexander (Griswold) Mennonite Brethren Church ?
This photo is of the interior of the [Alexander Mennonite Brethren Church?]. The photo is taken from the pulpit looking at the people filling the pews. – Note: this photo is somewhat blurry.
[197-], 17 x 12.5 cm [col.]., Alexander, Manitoba, Canada.
- NP151-01:2: Side View – Griswold MB Church
This photo is a sketch of the Griswold MB Church, later renamed Alexander MB Church.
[197-?], 12.5 x 12 cm [b&w], Alexander, Manitoba, Canada.
Microfilm file list
- Brief summary of the Beginnings (Book I). – 1926–1931. – p.1109–1111.
- Church Membership, Family, and Marriage Registers (Book III). – ca.1925–1956. – p.1212–1260.
- Church Membership, Family, Baptismal, and Marriage Registers (Book II). – ca.1926–1938. – p.1112–1211.
- Church Membership, Family and Baptismal Registers (Book IV). – ca.1926–1972. – p.1261–1317.