Unger, John (1926–2018)
John Unger fonds
Dates of Creation
35 cm of textual records and one 60 minute audio cassette
John Unger was born on December 4, 1926, in Riga Latvia. He came to Canada with his family where he became a Canadian citizen by naturalization. After high school, he attended the Herbert Bible School in Herbert, Saskatchewan. In 1953, he continued with his educational pursuits by attending the Mennonite Brethren Bible College in Winnipeg. On September 4, 1954, he married Mary Janzen who was born on November 24, 1928, in Osterwick, Manitoba to Heinrich H. Janzen (1895–1974) and Katharina Konrad (1895–1987). John and Mary had three sons together. In 1958, he was ordained in the Scott Street Mennonite Brethren Church, St. Catharines, Ontario.
John continued his education by attending Waterloo College in 1955, Goshen College, 1964, Associated Mennonite Biblical Seminary 1972, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary 1974, and again in 1994, when he earned his Ph.D. He has spent time teaching and pastoring in various places such as Manitoba, Indiana, Ontario, and Kansas. He also worked for the Canadian Mennonite Brethren Conference as the Executive Secretary of Christian Education from 1974–1982. He retired on November 1, 1999.
On March 14, 2018, John passed away.
The material was collected and produced by John Unger who donated it to the Centre September 30, 1997, September 2006, August 2011. It is unknown who donated the audio cassette.
Scope and Content
The material in this collection consists of wedding and funeral sermons, Christian Education convention programs, reports, minutes, Christian education materials from cradle roll to adult, and two lecture outlines. The audio recording is of a sermon by Unger. The Christian Education materials collected by Unger were created by churches other than the MB church but were used and promoted in MB churches.
- Volume 1075, 1331.
- Described by Conrad Stoesz November 19, 1999; updated by Conrad Stoesz October 17, 2006, August 9, 2011; updated by Jon Isaak April 15, 2015.
- Accession nos. 1997–064, 2006-032, 2011-20, 2015-06.
- Related Material:
- Christian Education Office of the Canadian MB Conference.
1. Christian Education Convention Programs. -- 1958–1989.
2. Two lecture outlines. -- 1964, 1968.
3. MB South District Christian Education Committee reports and minutes. -- 1971–1972.
4. Christian education materials from cradle roll to adult. -- 1954–1987.
- SS Cradle Roll Department
- SS Nursery Department
- SS Beginner Department
- SS Primary Department
- SS Middler Department
- SS Junior Department
- SS Junior High Department
- SS Senior High Department
- Young Single Adults
- SS Adult Department
- SS Visitation Program
- SS Secretary–Treasurer
- SS Superintendent
- Sunday School Pastor
1. John Unger wedding sermons and other materials. -- 1955–1979.
2. John Unger wedding sermons and other materials. -- 1979–1986.
3. John Unger wedding sermons and other materials. -- 1987–1999.
4. John Unger wedding sermons and other materials. -- 1999–2001.
5. Funeral guidelines and check lists. -- 1946–[2010?].
6. John Unger funeral sermons and other materials. -- 1958–1993.
7. John Unger funeral sermons and other materials. -- 1993–2007.
8. John Unger funeral sermons and other materials. -- 2007–2008.
9. John Unger funeral sermons and other materials. -- 2009–2012.
10. John Unger funeral sermons and other materials. -- 1959–2007.
11. John Unger and John H. Epp correspondence. -- 1998–2006.
Audio file list
NA-01-41. Sermon by John Unger, “The Story of Zaccheus. Side 1. -- Nov 16, 1976.