Swartz, Katharina (Fehderau) (1892–1993)
Katharina (Fehderau) Swartz fonds
Dates of Creation
1 cm textual material and 7 photos
Katharina (Tina) Fehderau, daughter of Jacob and Maria Fehderau, was born October 20, 1892 in Marjanovka, Ukraine. She was married to Jacob J. Dyck August 14, 1916 at Halbstadt, Molotschna, South Russia and they had a son, Siegfried. Jacob Dyck was killed December 19, 1919, and her young son also died November 26, 1920, of scarlet fever.
In 1924 she immigrated to Canada, settling in Kitchener, Ontario. Later she married Miles Swartz and had three children, eight grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren. Miles died March 21, 1976, at age 90. Katharina died October 12, 1993, in Kitchener, Ontario, at almost 101.
The excerpt focusing on Katharina Fehderau’s life, from Autobiography: Memories of my Life 1904-1917 by Nicholas Jacob Fehderau, provides many details of Katharina’s life.
This collection of material was donated to the CMBS by Leone Sherk and Ann McInnis, Kitchener MB archives committee. The documents were found in the church building.
Scope and Content
The Katharina (Fehderau) Dyck Swartz papers are primarily education and immigration documents, and some photos.
- Volume 1346.
- Language: German, Russian and English. English translation by Maria Hamm, Kitchener, Ontario.
- Described by Yvonne Snider-Nighswander, May 22, 2012.
- Accession No. 2012-04.
- Photograph collection: NP196-01.
- No restrictions on access.
- Related materials: NP152-01; NP152-02.
- Certificate of Progress and Behavior, grade IV student, Heigalschtat Ladies Training School Katharina Fehderau (in Russian). – 1907-1908.
- Graduation Certificate from Maloganskaja Private Ladies High School for Kathrine Jacovlevna Fehderau. – 1920.
- Membership Certificate of Baptism in Tiegenhagener Mennonite Brethren Church, for Katherine Dyck, née Fehderau. – 1924.
- Confirmation of Death of Jacob Jacob Dyck, No. 155, Nikolaipol. – 1923.
- Medical Certificate/Identification Card. – 2 June, 1924.
- Cheque for $100 for fare, to the Canadian Colonization Board. – 19 December, 1924.
- Affidavit of Marriage for Katharine Fehderau to Jacob J. Dyck. Notarized by A.L. Bitzner in Kitchener, ON. – 1926.
- Obituaries for Miles Swartz and Katherine (Fehderau) Swart. – 1976, 1993.
- Excerpt focusing on Katharina Fehderau’s life, from Autobiography: Memories of my Life 1904-1917 by Nicholas Jacob Fehderau.