Siemens, Jacob J. (1900–1968)
Jacob J. Siemens fonds
Dates of Creation
56 photographs and one folder of textual records
Jacob J. Siemens was born on April 3, 1900, in Ladekopp, south Russia. He spent his youth years in Danilowka, Crimea. On May 4, 1924, he married Sara Enns. Together they had two children, a son and a daughter. In 1929, they left Russia for Germany. In Riga, Latvia they were forced to leave their ill son behind, where he died shortly thereafter. In the refugee camp their four-year-old daughter also died. Later, in 1949, they adopted two girls which helped ease the pain of their loss.
He studied at the Wiedenest Bible School in Germany and was baptised in 1931, and received into the Plymouth Brethren. In 1934, the family immigrated to Canada and settled in Coaldale, Alberta. In 1936, he was ordained and served the church until his death on July 25, 1968, including a period of time as leader.
This material was donated by Elviera Siemens-Klassen, adopted daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Siemens, of Winnipeg on two separate occasions. The first donation was Reverend Siemens’ sermon notes in August of 1973 and the second donation on January 31, 1984.
Scope and Content
The material in this collection contains two types of material. The largest portion consists of photographs of Siemens’ time at Bible school and life in Coaldale. The second portion of material consist of copies of articles written by Siemens, sermon notes, and a page showing the Bible school directors. Most of the material is in German.
- Volume 1049.
- Described by Conrad Stoesz November 18, 1999.
- Accession nos. 1984–002.
- Related Material:
- Photo Collection NP106–1–1,5.
Series I. Photographs.
1930–1932, 1934, [ca. 1936], [194-], 1943, 1948, 1949, [195-], 1951, 1953, 1958, 1959, 1963, 1967, 1968.
51 black and white photographs and 5 colour.
This series consists of photographs taken by or of Mr. and Mrs. Siemens during their time at the German Bible school. Some of the pictures are also taken when they were in Coaldale, Alberta.
Series II. Textual records.
1931–1934, [194-], 1968.
1 folder of textual records.
This series consists of copies of articles written by Siemens and then published, often in the Mennonitische Rundschau. There are also a few sermon notes and a page out of a year book showing the staff at the Coaldale Bible school.
Location: “S” Small personal collections.
Series I. Photo Collection NP30–1
- Besuch aus der Heilsarmee = Visit of the Salvation Amy. – 1930.
- Rusländer = Russians, October 1930.
- Ausflug der Konferensgäste = Outing of the Conference guests. – 1930.
- Mr. John Warms and Her. Janzen. – [193-].
- The teachers and students of the Bible school in Wiedenest. – April 1930.
- The teachers and students of the Bible school in Wiedenest. – June 6, 1931.
- Ich bin ganz oben... = I am on the very top. – 1930.
- Verputzt = renovating. – 1932.
- Am Dach decken mit Kunst Schiefer = On the roof with Kunst Schiefer. – [ca. 1930].
- Same as above. – [ca. 1930].
- Br. Er. Lehmann aus der Schweiz = Brother Er. Lehmann from Switzerland. – 1931.
- Br. Lehmann mit dem Kühen auf der Wiese = Brother Lehmann with the cows in the pasture. – [ca. 1931].
- Heuernte = harvesting hay. – June 23, 1931.
- Von Waldbeersuchen = Wild berry picking. – June 14, 1931.
- Kartoffelernte = potato harvesting. – September 9, 1931.
- Ausflüge auf dem Wege nach Atendorn = field trip to Atendorn. – March 1930.
- Same as above.
- In Wülfringhausen auf der Konferens = In Wülfringhausen at the Conference. – May 1930.
- Unter der grossen Eiche b. Krambach = under the big oak tree near Krambach. – 1931.
- Auf der Fahrt nach Wülfringhausen zur Konferens. – On the way to Wülfringhausen Conference. – 1931.
- Bible school in Wiedenest. – [ca. 1930].
- Working on the Bibleschool in Wiedenest. – [ca. 1930].
- Bible school in Wiedenest burning. – [ca. 1931].
- Same as above. – [ca. 1931].
- Bible school in Wiedenest ?. – [ca. 1930].
- Unidentified man making shoes. – [ca. 1930].
- Bible school in Coaldale. – [ca. 1934].
- Mr. and Mrs. J.J. Siemens. – September 1931.
- Mr. and Mrs. J.J. Siemens at Wiedenest. – Winter 1931.
- Flüchtlingslager, Hamerstein = Refugee camp at Hamerstein. – March 1930.
- Auf der Konferens in Wiedenest, Sara and Jacob Siemens, Russland. – At the Conference in Wiedenest, Sara and Jacob Siemens , Russia. – June 3, 1931.
- Versammlungshaus der Bibleschule in Wiedenest = Church at the Bible School at Wiedenest. – [19-].
- Bibleschule in Wiedenest = Bibles chool in Wiedenest. – [19-].
- Bibleschule in Wiedenest = Bible school in Wiedenest. – [19-].
- Families at Wiedenest?. – [ca. 1930].
- Group of men at Wiedenest?. – [ca. 1930].
- C.N. Hieberts and unidentified couple, possibly at Wiedenest. – [ca. 1936]. – Note: The name on the back of the photo “Rev. J.J. Siemens”, is inaccurate.
- J.J. Siemens and David Pankratz. – [195-].
- Unidentified man. – [194-?]. – Note: This person appears in photos 35–37.
- Konferens in Wiedenest = Conference in Wiedenest. – June 2–4, 1931.
- Rev. J.J. Siemens. – ca. 1949.
- Siemens hatchery. – ca. 1963.
- J.J. Siemens at his desk. – [ca. 1959].
- Group of men possibly in Coaldale, includes J.J. Siemens and B.B. Janz. – [194-?].
- Four men in front of tent includes J.J. Siemens. – August 29, 1948.
- J.J. Siemens at his desk. – May 1959.
- Mr. and Mrs. J.J. Siemens. – 1943.
- Mr. and Mrs. J.J. Siemens. – [195-].
- Prediger and Diakonen Konference = Minister and deacon conference. – [193-?].
- Mr. and Mrs. David Pankratz. – [1967?].
- Rev. Siemens. – ca. 1966.
- Rev. P.P. Pauls. – 1953.
- Jackie Kasper, Bruton Kodaikanal, South India. – ca. 1951.
- Mr. and Mrs. Siemens and unidentified couple. – [194-].
- Mr. and Mrs. J.J. Siemens, Mr. and Mrs. David Pankratz, Nettie Berg and unidentified couple. – [195-].
- Mr. J.J. Siemens. – 1958.
Series II. Textual records
- Obituary. – 1968.
- Copies of articles in the Mennonitische Rundschau by Jacob and Sara Siemens. – 1931–1934.
- Pictures out of Bible school yearbook of faculty in Coaldale. – [194-].
- Sermon notes. – [194-?].