Neufeld, William I. (1908–2006)
William I. Neufeld fonds
Dates of Creation
170 cm of textual material and 79 photographs
William Neufeld, son of Isaak Neufeld and Anna Koehn Neufeld, was born November 10, 1908 in Waldheim, Russia. Due to the war and revolution, the Neufeld family emigrated from Russia arriving in Winnipeg on April 16, 1926. From there, the family moved to Altona where they bought a small flour mill.
Neufeld was sent to the Mennonite Collegiate Institute in Gretna, Manitoba from which he graduated in 1929. He went to Normal School to become a teacher, and taught for 26 years. He raised his educational level by attending summer schools and through one year of studies at the University of Manitoba, graduating with a B.A. degree. After that he became a high school teacher at Osborne, Manitoba.
He married Hilde Neufeld, born February 7, 1909, in 1941. His teaching was interrupted by World War II. Because Neufeld was a conscientious objector, the government permitted him to be a missionary with the Indians at Island Lake, Manitoba in lieu of military service. Here the Neufelds stayed for almost two years until the end of the war. He then taught at the Mennonite Educational Institute in British Columbia for thirteen years.
During this time Neufeld became very active in the church working in Sunday school, youth work, committees, and preaching. He definitely felt the Lord’s call to help spread the kingdom of God. He was active in the B.C. conference youth work, the constitution committee and in Home Missions.
In 1958 the South Abbotsford MB Church ordained him to the ministry, and a year later called him to be its pastor. After seven years there he received a call to the North Kildonan MB Church in Winnipeg, where he served for 13 years until his retirement.
In 1980, the Manitoba Conference asked Neufeld to write a history of the Mennonite Brethren Church in Manitoba upon the suggestion by the Historical Committee of the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches that every province write its own history. Neufeld completed the book, called From Faith to Faith, and it was published in 1989.
During his retirement Neufeld was busy writing. In addition, the Canadian Bible Society asked him to promote its work. That assignment took him to many different churches all over Manitoba and to many different denominations. William Neufeld died August 22, 2006.
Excerpts from The Neufelds of Waldheim: 1744–1985.
William I. Neufeld donated his original papers, printed materials, and photographs to the Centre for Mennonite Brethren Studies on April 8, 1992. Neufeld's published book is in the J.A. Toews library. Additional sermons and papers were donated on October 24, 2006 by his daughter Karin Suderman. On July 16, 2007, Herb Suderman (spouse of Karin) donated several German sermon notes.
Scope and Content
The William I. Neufeld fonds consists of drafts and manuscripts created by Neufeld in the process of writing his book, From Faith to Faith. Also in the fonds, are Neufeld's research files, collected as information for his book. The research files could be a valuable source for anyone researching the history of the Mennonite Brethren churches in Manitoba. Also, the fonds contain several sermons in both English and German written by William I. Neufeld as well as his sermon research notes and raw material. In addition, the meditations from the answering machine ministry entitled “Dial A Meditation” are also found in this collection. The photographs are of various people who were important in the history of the Manitoba Mennonite Brethren Church and of Manitoba M.B. institutions such as camps, Mennonite Brethren Collegiate Institute, and Mennonite Brethren Communications. Sixteen photographs are originals that were used in Neufeld's book From Faith to Faith (1989).
- Volume 1019, 1255–1258.
- Title based on contents of fonds.
- Accession number is 1992–17, 2006-035, 2007-023.
- Language: contains soem German materials.
- Finding aid updated by Janelle Hume October 2008.
- Finding aid for photographs: NP68–1, NP68–2, NP107–1.
- No restrictions on access.
1. A book review of From Faith to Faith by T.D. Regehr.
2. First draft (56 pages) of A History of the Mennonite Brethren Church of Manitoba. (2 copies).
3. Manuscript of A History of the Mennonite Brethren Church of Manitoba. (2 copies in duotang form).
4. From Faith to Faith: A History of the Mennonite Brethren Church of Manitoba. (4 copies in duotang form).
5. Files created in the research and writing of the above manuscript: The first 24 files are organized alphabetically and geographically. The last 25 files are organized according to subject. File headings are:
- Elm Creek
- Fort Garry
- Horndean (Grossweide)
- Lakeview (Killarney)
- North Kildonan
- Oakville (Community Fellowship) Newton
- Mennonite History – Russia
- J.A. Kroeker – Moskow
- Das Molotschnaer Mennoniten Gebiet
- Early Manitoba Mennonite – origin & settlement
- Notes on Beginning of MB Church (H. Voth & Joh. Warkentin letters)
- Manitoba Mennonite economic & spiritual aspects
- Arnie Neufeld
- Interviews & Correspondence
- Mennonite Quarterly Review
- Missionaries (CS, MCC)
- Home Missions
- Winnipeg City Mission
- Missions to 1969
- Mission & Church Extension (1969– )
- Missions (1969– )
- Mission policies (1970– )
- Mennonite Sermons
- Mennonite Brethren Collegiate Institute
- Provincial Archives
- Sermons (filed alphabetically– German and English).
1. Abortion (study) by Vern Ratzlaff.
2. Anabaptist identity (study) by H.G. Krahn.
3. Mennonite Brethren Instruction for Baptism.
4. B.C. Conference of M.B. Church (in German).
5. Change – F.C. Peters at Readley Conference – 1967.
6. Charismatic Church movement (study) by David Ewert.
7. Article – Christ is the Answer by Tom Skinner.
8. The Christian and his Material Possessions (study) – Leonard Siemens.
9. Notes: Christian Schools [1964-1978].
10. Christian Stewardship of our Money (study).
11. Christian Philosophy of Education at MBBC (study) by F.C. Peters.
12. The Church (study) Marvin Hein; F.C. Peters.
13. Church Covenant – Mennonite Brethren (some German).
14. Church Discipline (study papers / articles) (some German).
15. Gemeindezucht – Church discipline – A.H. Unruh (German).
16. The Church and the Urban Frontier – Ed Janzen.
17. Commissioning of Servants in the Church (study) by John Regehr.
18. Conflicting Authorities in the Teaching Ministry (study) by John Wall.
19. Creation (study) by Allen R. Guenther – 1976.
20. Diaconate (studies) by William Neufeld, Roland Marsch, Waldo Heibert, R.M. Baerg, Herbert Brandt – [1967-1984].
21. Discipleship – Sunday School Convention in B.C.; study by Clarence Bauman – 1961.
22. Divorce and Remarriage (articles / studies) – [1966-1984].
23. Studies in Doctrine by the M.B. Study Committee – [196?].
24. Study Doctrinal Priorities for Evangelism – R.M. Baerg.
25. Sermons by E.C. Manning.
26. “The Epistle of John” in The Christian Leader by D. Edmond Hiebert – Jan – March 1979.
27. Evangelism (articles and studies)- Henry Brucks, Gregorio Landero, Jacob J. Toews [196?-197?].
28. Seminar – Faith and Culture in M.B. History – 1986.
29. Drama by Johann Friedrich Flattich [195?] – (German).
30. Functional Fellowship for Evangelism (study) – Orlando H. Wiebe.
31. Group Fellowship within the Church (study paper) by J.J. Toews – 1971.
32. Guidance (article) – J.I. Packer – 1975.
33. Guilt (article in MB Herald) by Henry Regehr – 1974.
34. Habakkuk (Study) – Elmer Martens – 1969.
35. Mennonite Historian – Christian leader – Info on Mennonites [1974-1977].
36. Study Conference (Church leaders) – Kansas by Waldo Hiebert – 1970.
37. Liberal Arts College – Communication, letters, etc. – 1959-1960.
38. Hartford Heresies – article in Time – 1975.
39. Study: M.B. Church – New Wine skins for Old Wine by Delbert Wiens – 1965.
40. The Local Church (study) by B.J. Braun – 1951.
41. Marriage of Believers with Nonbelievers (study).
42. M.B. Brotherhood (article in the Christian Leader) by Aleen Grunau – 1970
43. M.B. Orthodoxy (article and study) – Daniel Heinrichs, John H. Redekop – 1970, 1975.
44. Mennonite Centennial (articles) – 1974.
45. Mennonites in Exile – Stories – 1910-1912, 1918 (German).
46. MCC – Trip to the USSR – report – 1976.
47. Mennonite Life Magazine – January 1951.
48. Mennonite Profile - MB Herald [1970, 1975], Mennonitische Rundschau (German) [1981, 1988].
49. Mennonite Brethren – Notes, articles (The Christian Leader) – 1974.
50. German Drama – Mennoniten con Land zu Land – 1952.
51. Mennonite World Conference (7th) – 1962.
52. Ministers Conference (studies) – J. Schmidt, H, Schwartz, A.J. Dick, H.H. Voth, J. Wall.
53. Ministers and Deacons: roles – study by John Regehr – 1976.
54. The Ministry – Study Papers – 1970.
55. Morality – Mennonite: articles and dialogue from the Forum – 1974.
56. Mother – Book Honour Thy Mother compilation of poems, prayers, readings.
57. Nature of Church (study) – Waldo Heibert “Faith at Work” – 1972.
58. New Wineskins for old wine (study of the MB Church) by Delbert Wiens – 1965.
59. One Body – Many Churches (study) – 1977.
60. Old Testament (articles in The Christian Leader) by Elmer A. Martens – 1974.
61. The Use of the Old Testament in the Church (study) by Elmer A. Martens – 1974.
62. Pacifism (study – To Kill or Not to Kill) – March 1986.
63. Peace Material – Peace Conference – Oct. 1961.
64. Peace Conference – Europe – 1959.
65. Church, Word and World (Study Conference): The Place of Feeling in Christian Experience by W. Hiebert, The use of the OT in the Church by E. Martens, The Christian and his Material Possessions by L. Siemens, The Church and the Urban Frontier by E. Janzen – 1974.
66. The place of Preaching in the Contemporary Church (paper) by John Regehr – 1970.
67. Peace Material – studies, papers, articles – 1961, 1963, 1972.
68. Der Prediger der Gemeinde (German study paper) – 1965.
69. Preparation for death by Dick Klassen – 1987-1988.
70. Principles of Discipleship (study) – Arno Wiebe.
71. Private Schools: research – 1974, 1976.
72. Problems – Religious Teaching (study paper).
73. Procedures in the Ordination to the Ministry – 1961.
74. Theological Conference in Reedley, California – 1967.
75. Remarriage of Divorced (study) – 1967.
76. Resolutions of the Study Conference – 1971.
77. Roles and Resources (Conference study): Man and Woman under the Lordship of Christ by H. Brandt, The Christian Woman in the Church and the Conference by D. Ewert, Mobilizing our Material Resources by D. Redekop, Mobilizing our Human Resources by A. Konrad – 1974.
78. Salvation (study) by D. Edmund Hiebert.
79. Sanctification (study).
80. Second Coming: paper (German), article by Dr. J. Walvoord.
81. Sermons – A collection by prominent preachers eg. Ironside, Moody, etc. (all newspaper clippings).
82. Abram Schellenberg’s story: in the MB Herald – 1969.
83. Story of English Bible by Ernest Howse – 1952.
84. Strategy of Outreach (study) by J.J. Toews.
85. Theological Issues (Lectures) – J.A. Toews.
86. The Tribulation of the Church by John E. Toews: Conference in Fresno, California, 1978.
87. War and Non-Resistance – articles, papers, studies, pamphlets. [1966-1973].
88. The Whole Gospel (study) by Victor Adrian. – 1971.
89. Topic Articles: Modern Theology by Alan Johnson, Spiritual Maturity from Royal Bank, The Greatest Song from MB Herald, Against Cowardice by Otto Dibelius, New Christology from Christianity Today, Amos, Authority by Allen Guenther, Decision from Royal Bank, Jonah from Christian Leaders, Consensus and Change from Conference in Reedley – 1967, Rapture, Richard Wolff, Hutterites from Winnipeg Free Press, David Hathaway Story from Underground Evangelism, Gospel According to Computers by Linda Curtis.
90. Topic articles: Child Evangelism, Thanksgiving from Christian Leader, Capital Punishment from Newspaper – 1973.
- Abraham – sermon notes.
- Acts – sermon notes (German).
- Acts – A study.
- Anabaptism – sermons.
- Biblical Studies – notes.
- Christian Life (Mind) – notes.
- Christmas Greetings (Church Bulletins) – 1959-1970.
- Church – sermon notes.
- The Church – Gemeinde (German).
- Colossians – Study (contains German).
- 1 Corinthians (German) – sermon.
- 2 Corinthians (German) – sermons.
- Notes: Culture – Leo Driedger.
- Devotionals – T.V. – 1968.
- Easter Greetings (bulletin) – [1963-?].
- Faith – sermon notes.
- Familienaudacht – Mennonite Brethren Communications (German) – 1978.
- German Sermons.
- Drama – Glaube und Heimat – Erster Akt.
- Sermon: Grace (Gnade) / God’s Mind (contains German).
- M.E.I. Graduation Address(German) – 1960.
- Hebrews – Sermons (German).
- Holy Spirit – Sermon / sermon notes.
- Home – articles and studies The Christian Position and Authority in the Home by Heggie Iverson.
- Jakobus (James) – sermons (German).
- 1 John – sermons (German).
- 2 John – sermons (German).
- 3 John – sermons (German).
- Letter: from Kindred Press re: book by William Neufeld From Faith to Faith: The History of the Manitoba MB Church. – 1990.
- Life of Christ / Life of the Christian: sermon notes.
- Meditations: Materials / Ideas (contains German).
- Mind – sermon notes / research.
- Ministerial Candidates Statement – 1964.
- Miscellaneous – sermon notes (contains German).
- North Kildonan MB Church’s Solution to the Language Problem - 1985.
- North Kildonan visitation to Donwood Manor (German) – 1994-2000.
- Obedience – sermon notes.
- Peace – sermon notes.
- Isaiah – sermon notes.
- Pastoral Letters – 1963.
- 1 Peter – sermons (German).
- 2 Peter – sermons (German).
- Philemon – sermons (German).
- Prayer – notes and articles – 1974.
- Prophecy – sermons.
- Prophetic Promises concerning Christ’s Nativity (an advent service) – 1973.
- The Old Testament prophets: notes.
- Quotations and Reading sources.
- Radio Messages – 1964-1966.
- Rationale for Christian Private School.
- Reading References (notes).
- Revelation – sermons (German).
- Revelation – Interpreted for Today: article in MB Herald by David Ewert – 1973.
- Revelations – Outline.
- Righteousness and Grace – sermon notes.
- Romans – sermon notes (contains some German).
- Romans (Römer) – German sermon notes.
- Sermon Ideas – notes (contains some German).
- Notes: Sermons (German).
- Notes: Grace, Second Coming, Prayer, God, Holy Spirit, Eternity, Names of Christ.
- Sermon: John 15 (German).
- Sermon Topics – notes / pamphlets.
- Sermons – when preached (date).
- Sermons – where preached (location).
- “Stiftshuette” – (German).
- The Teaching of Jesus (Topics from A – Z).
- Texts preached on – list (contains some German).
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians – sermon notes (German).
- 1 Timothy – sermon notes (German).
- 1 Timothy – sermons (German).
- 2 Timothy – sermons (German).
- Titus – sermons (German).
- Bible Studies: Thessalonicher, Knowing Catholics, Sin, Sanctification, Holiness, Israel (contains some German).
- Topics preached on – name / date (contains some German).
- Sermon: “Unity in the Church” – German.
- Unser Reichtum durch den Glauben – sermon notes.
- Weddings & Funerals – sermons preached (date / who for).
- Bible Study – Where are our Loves ones after death?
- Words of Comfort – Scriptures.
1. "Dial a Mediation": Meditations -- Feb. 9-Dec. 31, 1970.
2. "Dial a Mediation": Meditations -- Jan. 1-Dec 31, 1971.
3. "Dial a Mediation": Meditations --Jan. 1-Oct. 16, 1972.
4. German Sermon notes. -- 1947-1991.
5. German sermon notes. -- 1947-1991.