Fast, Peter W. (1914–2011)
Peter W. Fast fonds
Dates of Creation
1 cm of textual records
Peter W. Fast was born on April 11, 1914 near Langham, Saskatchewan to Peter B. Fast (1889–1980), who was the son of Bernhard Fast (1868–1943) and Susanna Mandtler (1870–1951). Peter B Fast moved with his parents (Bernhard and Susanna) from Mountain Lake, Minnesota to the area in 1901, where Peter W. Fast was born. Peter W. Fast married Mary Schapansky on June 13, 1940. Eventually they joined Wycliffe Bible Translators in 1945 and went to Peru for their first assignment. In 1965 they were transferred to Ecuador. They also spent some time in Colombia. In 1973 they returned to Canada and worked in the Special Projects department for Wycliffe. One of the projects he was involved with was the translation of the New Testament into Low German or Plautdietsch. Peter passed away on November 8, 2011.
The material in this collection was collected and produced by Peter Fast, and donated to the Centre by Peter Fast.
Scope and Content
The material in this collection consists of family history, Olser, Saskatchewan history, and material related to Fast’s work with Wycliffe Bible Translators, which includes Low German. One item was written by Peter W. Fast’s father Peter B. Fast. The material in the collection is mostly in English, and some in the Low German (Plautdietsch) language.
- Volume 945.
- Described by Conrad Stoesz March 7, 2000.
- Accession nos.
- One photo of the Bethany Bible School faculty in 1934–1935 was removed and placed in photo collection NP79–1–30.
- Recollections of the founding of the school in Osler, Saskatchewan, by Peter B. Fast. – March 16, 1976.
- “So Not to Forget,” by Peter W. Fast. – 24 pages. – Note: this item consists of photocopied photographs complied by relatives from the Fast and Nickel families. – 1981.
- Wie räden en läsen Plautdietsch, We speak and read Low German, by Peter W. Fast. – [197?].
- Tietus, A Low German translation of the New testament book of Titus translated by J.J. Neufeld, with an accompanying poem written by Peter W. Fast.
- “Pioneer Was Fast”/ Peter W. Fast. Note: this item contains a short life story and photographs. – 1993.
- Form correspondence from Peter W. Fast. – 1973, 1989.
- Photocopied photos of Bethany and Tabor Bible Schools. – 1930–1938.