Braun, John P. (1895–1959) and Maria Schulz Braun (1891–1970)
John P. Braun and Maria Schulz Braun fonds
Dates of Creation
3 cm of textual material and 1 photograph
John P. Braun was born Mar. 15, 1885 in Chortitza, Ukraine to Peter P. Braun and Margaretha von Kampen. John Braun’s parents died when he was young so he was raised by his aunt, Mrs. P. Willms. In 1904 he completed teacher’s training after which he taught in the Mennonite village schools in the Ukraine. He married Maria Schulz in 1910. In 1919 he was baptized by Elder Herman Neufeld and ordained to the ministry in 1922. The Braun family left Russia and came to Canada in 1930. They settled in Morden, where Braun was active in the church ministry for thirteen years before the couple moved to Arnold, BC in 1943. At Arnold, Braun continued to be involved in the church. He died Nov. 12, 1959.
Maria Schulz Braun, daughter of Johann Schultz and Maria Klassen Schulz, was born in 1891 in the Ukraine. She grew up and was educated in Nikolaipol, Number 2. In 1919, she was converted and baptized, together with her husband. Maria had a happy nature, often singing while she worked. She died in August, 1970.
The acquisition of the John P. Braun and Maria Schultz Braun fonds was negotiated through grandson Bill Riediger. The fonds was donated in 1992 by grandson John Braun of Vancouver, British Columbia. Included in the donation were 91 textbooks, used by J.P. Braun while he was teaching Bible school. These books are now part of the J.A. Toews Historical Library.
Scope and Content
This fonds consists of sermons, minutes, and other papers relating to John P. Braun’s ministry. In the fonds are two pamphlets and five notebooks of sermons, written in the German Gothic script, created by Braun. The fonds contains correspondence to Mrs. Braun and records relating to her activities in a womens’ mission group. It is not clear whether these minutes were created by her. The fonds also includes family papers such as financial records, and a wedding invitation.
- Volume 920.
- Title based on contents of fonds.
- The accession number is 1992–58.
1. Obituary of John P. Braun and list of books in J.A. Toews library.
2.Die Gemeinde Jesu Christi, manuscript text of presentation given Oct. 18, 1939 at the Bible Conference in Hillsboro, Kansas.
3. Papers relating to women’s groups. – 1952.
4. 3 songs in handwritten cipher notation.
5. Financial records:
- Journal book.
- 6 receipts from strawberry and raspberry income – 1957.
- Tax Assessment Notice – 1950.
- Letter from Manitoba Co-operative Honey Producers Ltd. – 1949.
- Protokoll einer Missionskomiteesitzung der MBG von BC, Clearbrook, B.C. – Nov. 6, 1954.
- Protokoll der Jahresversammlung des Mennonitischen Vereins "Deutsche Sprache", Winnipeg, Manitoba. – Oct. 25, 1958.
7. "Irrlehre," a 3-page paper in question and answer format.
8. The Marriage Act (Manitoba Statute). – 1940.
9. Wedding invitation to daughter Katherine’s marriage to Henry J. Block. – 1946.
- Photograph of Bethel Maedchenheim, Vancouver, B.C.
10. "Biblische Gemeindezucht" a pamphlet by J.P. Braun, Abbotsford, B.C. – 1946.
- "Das Abendmahl" a pamphlet by J.P. Braun, Morden, Manitoba. – 1936.
11. Personal correspondence of J.P. Braun and Maria Schultz Braun. – 1947, 1954, [19-?].
- 5 small books of sermons.