Bender, Harold S. (1897–1962)
Harold S. Bender fonds
Dates of Creation
1 folder of textual records and 2 audio reels
Harold S. Bender was one of the best-known Mennonite scholars and historians of his day. He was born on July 19, 1897 in Elkheart Indiana. In 1918, he earned a A.B. degree from Goshen College, in 1922, a B.D. from Garrett Biblical Institute, in 1923 a M.A. from Princeton University and a Th.M. from Princeton Theological Seminary. He married Elizabeth Horch in 1923. Two daughter were born to this couple. In 1924, Bender joined the faculty at Goshen College where he continued his work at various levels until his death. He served as an instructor and dean from 1931 to 1944 and dean of the Biblical Seminary from 1944 to his death. Bender felt it necessary to continue his education. He took a leave of absence and began studies at Heideberg Germany where he received his Th.D. degree in 1935.
In addition to his work at the college, he was also involved in the larger Mennonite community. For many years he was the assistant secretary of the Mennonite Central Committee and chairman of its Peace section. He served as chairman of the Mennonite World Conference for many years as well. He was the editor of The Mennonite Encyclopedia, and The Mennonite Quarterly Review in addition to authoring several books and articles. He died on September 12, 1962.
The custodial history of these records is unclear. Sometime after Bender’s addresses the material was collected by the Conference and later when the archives was established, the material moved to the archival Centre.
Scope and Content
The material in this collection includes two sermons prepared and delivered H.S. Bender. The earliest sermon was preached in the Bergthaler Mennonite Church in Altona, and the later sermon was preached on the occassion of the 100th anniversary of the Mennonite Brethren Conference. The audio recordings are of this latter sermon.
- Volume 912.
- Described by Conrad Stoesz January 10, 2000.
- Accession nos.
- Related material: Photograph collection NP108–4–5, NP108–6–19, NP108–8–6.
- Sermon by Bender on the occasion of the 100th Anniversary of the Mennonite Brethren Church. – May 1960. – 2 copies. – Note: seems to be missing a page(s) at the end.
- Sermon by H.S. Bender, preached at the Altona Bergthaler Mennonite church. – March 7, 1950.
- Two audio reels of Bender’s sermon on the occasion of the 100th Anniversary of the Mennonite Brethren church, recording 6 and 7 of 10. – 7 2 ips. – May 22, 1960.