MB Women’s Network
Mennonite Brethren Women's Network fonds
Dates of Creation
3 cm of textual materials
The MB Women's Network began in the fall of 1993 in response to the position taken by the General Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches at its annual convention in July 1993 on the issue of women in pastoral leadership. The Board of Faith and Life's motion "to allow a diversity of conviction and practice in the appointment of women to pastoral leadership" was defeated. Those who were discouraged by the proceedings recognized the need for greater support and solidarity, and began to seek ways to encourage the full expression of women's gifts in the church.
The initial Steering Committee included Judith Block Dueck, Ruth Jantz, Eleanor Martens, Lori Matties, Peggy Regehr, Donna Stewart, and Dale Taylor. The group organized several gatherings and conferences during the years of its formal operation, 1993–1995.
Scope and Content
The textual files in this fonds consist of the documentary materials directly related to the planning and implementation of the objectives of the MB Women's Network. The files include meeting minutes, conference planning notes, letters of support, and analysis of the issues related to the recognition of women's leadership gifts within the church during the 1993–1995 time period. This material is an example of an organization that gave voice to women within the Mennonite Brethren Conference.
The material in this collection was donated in 2014 by Dale Taylor, recording secretary of the Steering Committee for the MB Women's Network.
In 2017, Judith Block Dueck donated a collection of correspondence she had initiated and collected from the years 1995 to 2004. These letters and reports were related to the issues being promoted by the MB Women's Network (Acc. No. 2017-26) and are included in this fonds. See File Nos. 32, 34, and 35.
- Location: Volume 1017.
- Described by Jon Isaak, September 24, 2015; updated October 2017.
- Accession number: 2014-08, 2017-26.
- Finding aid consists of a file list.
- No restrictions on access.
- Language: English.
31. Meeting minutes, conference planning notes, and correspondence. -- 1993–1995.
32. Letters of support from individuals and organizations for the mission of the MB Women's Network . -- 1993.
33. Dale Taylor's observations of how the processing of the 1993 resolution on Women in Ministry Leadership at the convention was experienced. -- 2014.
34. Judith Block Dueck's correspondence with Edmund Janzen, Ed Boschman, Wally Unger, Jim Coggins, and Robert Friesen re. women in ministry leadership. -- 1995–2004.
35. "A Personal Journey" by Judith Block Dueck. A public presentation manuscript narrating her personal journey of advocacy following the failure of the 1993 resolution. -- 1995.